The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Checking CELS and the light is on solid? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56463)

Heli-Mech 01-28-2011 07:13 PM

Checking CELS and the light is on solid?

After my alternator shorted out I swapped on a replacement and it is running fine again, this alt only puts out 13.4v. I went for a test drive and had the CEL come on.

-I grounded the CEL wire, and instead of blinking a code it stays on steady??

-I shut the car off, started it back up and no more CEL?

-check for codes again and the light stays on steady?

Strange....

any ideas?

Heli-Mech 01-28-2011 08:21 PM

Re: Checking CELS and the light is on solid?

swapped out the ecu for my spare. The ecu is damaged. Must have been a short in the wiring, either in the alternator or the harness i made for the fan. Either way the ecu is cooked, car will run and drive fine on it but not throw or show any codes.

Sean486 01-28-2011 09:07 PM

Ian,
Did that ECU arrive yet?

Heli-Mech 01-28-2011 09:39 PM

Yeah got it today. Works perfect. Thanks.

Now I don't think the ecu was the problem.
I just drove the car home from work, and it did the same thing. CEL came on after driving out onto the highway. Checked the codes and I am getting a code 55. Not sure what code 55 is, I am looking it up right now.

North Ursalia 01-28-2011 10:13 PM

EGR gas temp sensor from the list of codes I have

Heli-Mech 01-29-2011 08:37 AM

Where is the Egr temp sensor located? Was that a California only option?

icingdeath88 01-29-2011 03:44 PM

Nope, all the US SVXes had EGRs, the California spec ones just actually check that it's working or something like that.

oab_au 01-29-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heli-Mech (Post 667953)
Where is the Egr temp sensor located? Was that a California only option?

It is on the right rear of the inlet manfold. I don't know the US models, but I think some have it, some don't.

Harvey.

b3lha 01-31-2011 05:06 AM

IIRC, in 1992 the california cars had a different EGR setup to the other USDM cars. There's a wire on the ECU harness that you ground to tell the ECU to use "california mode" instead of "49-states mode".

But after 93 they fitted all USDM cars with the california setup. I think you can still switch the later cars into "49-states mode" by disconnecting the california wire.

1986nate 01-31-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b3lha (Post 668092)
IIRC, in 1992 the california cars had a different EGR setup to the other USDM cars. There's a wire on the ECU harness that you ground to tell the ECU to use "california mode" instead of "49-states mode".

But after 93 they fitted all USDM cars with the california setup. I think you can still switch the later cars into "49-states mode" by disconnecting the california wire.

Good to know. If I get a chance, I'll check it out on one of my 94's... Don't know if that will happen as I'm busy today and the big blizzard is going to be rolling through here tomorrow:eek: