The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stoopid *&^$@ gaskets.... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28889)

The Goat 10-11-2005 05:37 PM

Stoopid *&^$@ gaskets....

so, the shop in FL that originally tried to replace my exhaust gaskets has finally admitted they can't figure out how to get me the correct exhaust gaskets from the cat forward. I'm not mad at them, because they went way above and beyond to get me back on the road again in a hurry - I'm out $40-50 at the MOST.

The problem is that this guy *swears* that his Subaru parts dealer is insisting that the original gaskets they tried to install (rear gaskets fit, front didn't) is the only part listed, so he has no idea what the correct part would be.

Meanwhile I *still* haven't heard what my exhaust *should* sound like (it sounds like an angry leaf blower right now), and the local cops are beginning to eye me up suspiciously.

I'll be calling Langston Subaru tomorrow to find out how I can get the damned gaskets.

Electrophil 10-11-2005 05:39 PM

:D :D Angry leaf blower! :D :D

I'm rolling!!! :D

immortal_suby 10-11-2005 06:05 PM

duct tape time. :D

ilsegretosvx 10-11-2005 06:10 PM

funny thing is my exhuast gaskets did the same thing and I just took off the cat and left the rest of the exhuast on. Now, yes its a lot louder, but its pretty fun at stop lights watching people looking around for the Porsche with the luod exhuast. :D

TomsSVX 10-11-2005 07:27 PM

www.subaruparts.com is your friend

Tom

The Goat 10-12-2005 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
www.subaruparts.com is your friend

Tom

You are the freakin' man. Thank you.

TomsSVX 10-12-2005 09:21 PM

what can I say... :cool:

Tom

The Goat 10-19-2005 05:46 PM

Okay - now I'm officially pissed.

Either the guy in FL who worked on my SVX was a) abysmally stupid or b) lying.

I don't need gaskets. I need a precat - it's split down the seam. Anyone have any idea where I can get one for UNDER $400? I really hate the idea of dipping that heavily into my savings right before Christmas.

(Edit - driver's side)

immortal_suby 10-19-2005 05:50 PM

Remove them both and replace with straight pipe into the main cat. :D

Someone must have landed really hard to split a precat - is there any other damage - broken manifold studs?

TomsSVX 10-19-2005 06:13 PM

tell them to cut them out... they are not needed to stay legal within most state emision tests...

Tom

The Goat 10-19-2005 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
tell them to cut them out... they are not needed to stay legal within most state emision tests...

Tom

They (apparently) changed the law in PA last year. They actually look for the amount of cats the car is supposed to have. I would *definitely* run straight pipes if I thought I ciuld get it to pass.

The Goat 10-19-2005 07:31 PM

actually- now that I think about it...maybe I'll take it to Jersey and see if they'll do that for me.

TomsSVX 10-19-2005 09:22 PM

no way... Jersey is rediculous about removing cats... maybe if you cut them out and drive it the shop and said... I dunno what happened man, the pipe just fell out ;) :D

Tom

ilsegretosvx 10-19-2005 09:39 PM

Its just like that in Cali...say take out a cat and they start quivering like the man had a long range mic on them. It was close to a underground effort to find someone who would do some "custom" work. ;)

The Goat 10-20-2005 05:44 PM

I'm experiencing that myself. Good God - this is getting a litle silly.