The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Didn't realize that the transmission problem jokes were that serious. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45540)

Mensaf 07-17-2008 03:15 PM

Didn't realize that the transmission problem jokes were that serious.

Well, I've put less than 100 miles on the car, and today the trans started slipping in the 1st to 2nd shift. I wanna cry. When I owned an Impreza, we had a tranny cocktail of redline transmission fluid and GM syncromesh that'd keep us going. Is there anything similar here? I'm willing to pay now to avoid not having a moving car. Recommendations?

TomsSVX 07-17-2008 05:06 PM

Re: Didn't realize that the transmission problem jokes were that serious.

Check the trans fluid... make sure the fluid quality and level are good. Start there.

Tom

Cynic 07-17-2008 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 556749)
Check the trans fluid... make sure the fluid quality and level are good. Start there.

Tom

I DID cry...

+1 on Tom's advice.

lhopp77 07-17-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omar (Post 556740)
Well, I've put less than 100 miles on the car, and today the trans started slipping in the 1st to 2nd shift. I wanna cry. When I owned an Impreza, we had a tranny cocktail of redline transmission fluid and GM syncromesh that'd keep us going. Is there anything similar here? I'm willing to pay now to avoid not having a moving car. Recommendations?

It's obvious that the previous owner did a job on you and knew it had issues. When it first starts it won't do it at normal temperatures and driving, but will slip when the tranny fluid reaches higher temps.

If I live in Jersey (God forbid) and had the money I would have it redone by LevelTen transmission. Of course its pricey, but apparently well worth it.

Lee

svxfiles 07-17-2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 556757)
It's obvious that the previous owner did a job on you and knew it had issues. When it first starts it won't do it at normal temperatures and driving, but will slip when the tranny fluid reaches higher temps.

If I live in Jersey (God forbid) and had the money I would have it redone by LevelTen transmission. Of course its pricey, but apparently well worth it.

Lee

If I lived in New Jersey (and was not a mechanic,) I would take it to

All Wheel Drive and Young Tom!

Thousands less, and more experience!

Old Tom.

seion 07-18-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omar (Post 556740)

Relax, here are some good steps to follow:

1) Perform a band adjustment on the tranny. Do a search or look at the How Tos and you should be able to find it. If this fixes or reduces the symptoms of slipping, then proceed with:

2) Draining the tranny pan, get the tranny oil pan off, replace the internal filter with WIX 58969.

3) Replace the exernal filter with a Permacool external tranny oil filter.

4) Add an external tranny oil cooler.

5) Replace the pan with the new gasket, fill the tranny via the tranny dip stick tube with ~10 qts Valvoline DEXRON III.

6) Add 1 or 2 qts of LUCAS TRANSMISSION STOP SLIP for preventive maintenance (it has wonders for me).

If you need help, we'll be here.