The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   svx windshields suck (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33622)

Ricochet 06-10-2006 10:25 PM

svx windshields suck

A tiny little rock hit the bottom passenger side of my windshield yesterday and cracked it a few inches, now it's about 8 inches long.. wtf. Is this fixable or will I have to replace the whole stupid thing

It's Just Eric 06-10-2006 10:58 PM

Has to be replaced....Chips can be filled but cracks are basicly the end of it

oab_au 06-11-2006 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet
A tiny little rock hit the bottom passenger side of my windshield yesterday and cracked it a few inches, now it's about 8 inches long.. wt. Is this fixable or will I have to replace the whole stupid thing

You could get the crack stopped by drilling a small hole in the end of the crack, to stop it running. Then get the crack to fill with "super glue". If you do it before the crack gets road grime in it, it will disappear.

I've had it done to screens before.

Harvey.;)

mikecg 06-12-2006 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Has to be replaced....Chips can be filled but cracks are basicly the end of it

Accually the standard has changed. It use to be only chips smaller then a quarter. Now they say any crack shorter then the length of a dollar bill can be fixed, however 8 inches is too long.

dcarrb 06-12-2006 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet
A tiny little rock hit the bottom passenger side of my windshield yesterday and cracked it a few inches, now it's about 8 inches long.. wtf.

Any windshield will do this, not just that of the SVX.

Don't try to DIY except as a last resort. I had a large stone chip filled by a pro here in my office parking lot a few years ago and the tab was less than $70, and the repair was all but invisible. But that was with no crack. If a reputable glass shop tells you it's too far gone, it probably is.

dcb

MNYPNNY 06-12-2006 01:27 PM

I had an 8" crack in my windshield when I bought my car. It had been "stopped" and I drove around with it for several years before cold wash water hit the hot windshield and sent the crack nearly the width of the windshield.

Beav 06-12-2006 03:35 PM

Call your insurance company, many pick the entire tab for windshield repairs vs. paying out for a replacement.

I used to do w/s repairs, years ago. As Harvey stated, drilling a hole at the end of the crack will stop it. With a crack that long several holes will need to be drilled along the crack's length, about every inch or so, in order to repair it. Problem is most repair guys don't want to spend that much time on just one windshield. Then there is the possibility that the crack will all of a sudden decide to come back to life during the process and streak across the windshield. Then the repair person is SOL.

dcarrb 06-13-2006 05:33 AM

I asked the woman who repaired my windshield: If the glass cracks, do I call you or my insurance agent? She replied flatly, "Oh, it won't crack." It didn't.

dcb