The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are these gaskets i hear of? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20336)

n00b on demand 07-31-2004 12:40 PM

what are these gaskets i hear of?

I have the same problem most people have with the condensation getting into the tailights. I was wondering how i could go about stopping this from happening. I have heard of people resealing the gaksets but i dont know what these gaskets are and where they are. I also found something pretty strange....i felt my trunk carpet and it was damp and wet...any of you have the same problem? It could also be because of the humid muggy weather were getting in new york. Who knows :rolleyes:

immortal_suby 07-31-2004 02:52 PM

you can buy the gaskets for the tailights. If you remove the plastic cover on the inside of the trunk you will see a number of 10mm nuts that if you loosen the tailights will pop off.

Water in the trunk could be the trunk seal or maybe the sunroof drain line disconnected or your rear wiper sprayer hose came off and is filling the trunk instead. I guess it could be the tailight gaskets too but I don't think much water would get all the way into the trunk from them leaking.

n00b on demand 07-31-2004 03:15 PM

Yeah its not alot of water lke a flood or anything. Its more like this damp feeling on the carpet,

nsm484 07-31-2004 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby
you can buy the gaskets for the tailights. If you remove the plastic cover on the inside of the trunk you will see a number of 10mm nuts that if you loosen the tailights will pop off.

Water in the trunk could be the trunk seal or maybe the sunroof drain line disconnected or your rear wiper sprayer hose came off and is filling the trunk instead. I guess it could be the tailight gaskets too but I don't think much water would get all the way into the trunk from them leaking.

Idea on the price for the Tailight Gaskets? I get condinsation in
my tailights, quite annoying.

immortal_suby 07-31-2004 03:58 PM

$4.50 ea at 1stsubaruparts.com

nsm484 07-31-2004 04:00 PM

Quote:

$4.50 ea at 1stsubaruparts.com
Any idea how much from the dealer?
Yea yea yea... i know... it will be more...
but less wait time ;)

immortal_suby 07-31-2004 04:05 PM

I imagine you'd wait the same amount of time - I doubt the svx tailight gasket is on the shelf at any dealer.

In any event - expect to add about 25% to the price at the dealer.

nsm484 07-31-2004 04:07 PM

Quote:

I imagine you'd wait the same amount of time - I doubt the svx tailight gasket is on the shelf at any dealer.

In any event - expect to add about 25% to the price at the dealer.

Figures... got a part number for 1stsubaruparts?

immortal_suby 07-31-2004 04:15 PM

Its in their oem parts catalog under collision, Rear lamps >Tail lamps > Lens and housing > Seal

Doesnt show a part number

nsm484 07-31-2004 04:20 PM

Quote:

Its in their oem parts catalog under collision, Rear lamps >Tail lamps > Lens and housing > Seal

Doesnt show a part number

I take it, same seal for left/right side?

immortal_suby 07-31-2004 04:36 PM

mirror image - same seal :)

n00b on demand 07-31-2004 06:11 PM

Quote:

i think the nuts might be 8 mm...not sure though.