The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   exhaust (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55980)

jeffs92svx 11-23-2010 06:45 AM

exhaust

I was looking at my exhaust the other day. I just got the car about a month ago and working on it and havent got to drive it much. It needs a new exhaust because it has several leaks. I was looking at the muffler and i think it may be the original exhaust on the car. The muffler says "sokamoto" or something like that on the drivers side of the muffler. Does anyone know if this would be the original muffler?

1986nate 11-23-2010 08:08 AM

Re: exhaust

How many miles on it? And it's possible the donut gaskets for both the inlet and outlet of the main cat are bad as well as the muffler clamp that is on the inlet of the muffler. Check those first.

You're in WV, you could always take it over to Tom(SVXfiles):)

jeffs92svx 11-23-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 663244)
How many miles on it? And it's possible the donut gaskets for both the inlet and outlet of the main cat are bad as well as the muffler clamp that is on the inlet of the muffler. Check those first.

You're in WV, you could always take it over to Tom(SVXfiles):)

Yeah, I would love to take it to Tom. He helped me so much on the phone with my brakes. I would love to meet him. I just dont have it on the road yet. It is legal except for a sticker wich is no big deal. I have to fix my sticking caliper. I would love to take it to him for a going over and see what shape it is in. Oh, by the way, it has 136,000 on it. The interior is awesome but the clearcoat is peeling. It sat for a long time outside. The master cylinder was bad and i figure that is why they parked it.

jeffs92svx 11-23-2010 10:26 AM

If i do a new exhaust, should i take off all or some of the cats? I looks like there is at least 3.

SVXRide 11-23-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffs92svx (Post 663264)
If i do a new exhaust, should i take off all or some of the cats? I looks like there is at least 3.

You can remove the front cats, but you should replace them with small resonators (do not use the fiberglass packed ones, as they'll foul the main, large cat) to prevent the dreaded 2k resonance.

-Bill

Rodolfo 11-24-2010 05:45 PM

From the mileage, I'd say unlikely: I had to replace mine at about half that much. But, from Sakamoto's website, it's possible. I'd write to inquire. If they only supply OEMs, they may affirm it, consider it extraordinary ,and want to inspect your car and even trade a new system for yours --which would be so cool as well as cheap. :D

They have an affiliate in Indiana: http://www.elsallc.com/

Then again... they may supply Ann Arbor Muffler, midas, etc. :rolleyes:

92 SVX 11-25-2010 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodolfo (Post 663358)
From the mileage, I'd say unlikely: I had to replace mine at about half that much. But, from Sakamoto's website, it's possible. I'd write to inquire. If they only supply OEMs, they may affirm it, consider it extraordinary ,and want to inspect your car and even trade a new system for yours --which would be so cool as well as cheap. :D

They have an affiliate in Indiana: http://www.elsallc.com/

Then again... they may supply Ann Arbor Muffler, midas, etc. :rolleyes:

I wish I had known or thought of this when I changed my exhaust, it was original and still quiet as a church mouse with about 134k miles on it maybe a little more.
The car came from vegas spent 4 years in mn however it was garaged always there was no rust under this car.

I changed the exhaust for better power and sound I like a little noise.

svxfiles 11-25-2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodolfo (Post 663358)
From the mileage, I'd say unlikely: I had to replace mine at about half that much.

Except for an exhaust tip rattle I have NEVER SEEN A BAD SVX MUFFLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have you seen how they are built?
They are almost INDESTRUCTABLE!
Trust me, I know how to break things.

Manarius 11-25-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 663380)
Except for an exhaust tip rattle I have NEVER SEEN A BAD SVX MUFFLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have you seen how they are built?
They are almost INDESTRUCTABLE!
Trust me, I know how to break things.

Overengineered I say.

Gamesy 11-26-2010 12:51 AM

my friend came by the other day and he saw the size of the muffler that i had laying around and he made a comment that it looks similar to the BMW x5 muffler, i wonder if it could be a viable aftermarket?

1986nate 11-26-2010 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamesy (Post 663422)
my friend came by the other day and he saw the size of the muffler that i had laying around and he made a comment that it looks similar to the BMW x5 muffler, i wonder if it could be a viable aftermarket?

If by viable "aftermarket" you mean something a hell of a lot more expensive than what a new OEM SVX muffler would be, sure. Otherwise, like many have done before, and they're dirt cheap, mufflers for the camaros and firebirds fit with slight modification.