The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   new svx owner with a strange popping noise (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34643)

prtsguy 08-07-2006 09:16 PM

new svx owner with a strange popping noise

made a sweet trade for a 92 svx because the previous owner couldnt find the problem or was to broke to try. I suspect it to be in the rear dif (sounds like a pos unit thats not clutching properly) . Rear wheel bearings and cv axles are seemingly good. Do I have positive traction in this thing?

ensteele 08-07-2006 11:20 PM

Where is the popping noise? :confused: :)

Earthworm 08-08-2006 10:41 AM

Could be the front diff.

dcarrb 08-08-2006 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prtsguy
Do I have positive traction in this thing?

Yes, the rear diff is limited-slip. What one sounds like going bad, I don't know.

dcb

huck369 08-08-2006 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
Yes, the rear diff is limited-slip. What one sounds like going bad, I don't know.

dcb

Are the tires all matched???

Sounds like you've got one tire mis matched on the rear....

prtsguy 08-09-2006 08:49 PM

not tires

I've put new tires on out of dire need(they were all mis matched and dangerous). the noise seems to be coming from the rear of the car when I back up or make any kind of turn. I can also feel it under the middle of the car when it happens. I did the LSD thing yesterday and some figure 8's but no luck. I know the person I got the car from and they probably drove on mismatched tires for a while, I hope thats not going to hurt me

huck369 08-10-2006 05:24 AM

If the previous owner ran it with miss-matched tires, it could have damaged the rear diff, the transfer clutches, and the front diff....

I've got a spare rear diff if you need it....and I'm not TOO far away....

oab_au 08-10-2006 05:11 PM

Popping noise?

Doesn't a "popping noise sound", come from a worn shaft joint, half or tail shaft joint?

Harvey.;)

nipper 08-10-2006 07:50 PM

when a viscous coupling LSD goes bad (assuming gears arent chewed up), you usually loose the ability for the tow rear tires to turn at differnt speeds, it feels like torque bind. If the gears are shot you will get a howl that increases with volum with speed.
Popping noise from the middle of the car will be bad universals or bad carrier bearing. There are two driveshafts (half shafts) ubder the car delivering power to the rear wheels. They use good old fashioned U joints and are easy to diagnose. Just get under the car and shake everything in the x-y direction, there should be zero play.
When do you hear this popping noise, and can you feel it in your seat or your feet.

nipper

prtsguy 08-10-2006 09:57 PM

when the noise happens

while I'm driving there is little or no noise. only when taking off, turning from a stop or backing up. U-joints and cv joints seem fine. I can feel it in the seat

nipper 08-10-2006 10:29 PM

have you physically inspected them?

nipper

prtsguy 08-10-2006 10:44 PM

u joints

yeah, while I had it on the rack changing the diff fluid

huck369 08-11-2006 05:10 AM

If you feel it in the seat, it may be the transfer clutches binding....try installing the "FWD" fuse in the fuse box under the hood, and see if it goes away.