The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need Advice on Tires Please? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34171)

PismoSVX 07-12-2006 09:24 PM

Need Advice on Tires Please?

Hello all!

When I bought my SVX in early February, the used car dealership agreed to pay for 4 "used but in good shape" tires as part of the deal. I've been able to run the existing tires bald and am now needing the new-used ones. The tire shop has 4 Michelin Energy tires size- 215/55R. My existing tires are 225/55R. (stock 16 inch rims) Since I've heard so much talk about how the SVX seems to run better or worse on particular brands/sizes of tires due to the weight and potential of warped rotors or ? I was just hoping to get a little input on what is being offered to me with these Michelin tires- PS. they look hardly used with no bulges and tread is worn evenly.
Thanks for any advice y'all can offer !

Jeannie in Pismo Beach, CA

PSS- I won't need to worry about driving in the snow/ice as I'll bet you could've guessed!
Thanks!!!

Mr. Pockets 07-12-2006 11:39 PM

I wouldn't put used tires on my car, but that's just me. I don't know anything about the Michelins, but I would make damned sure the tires all have the same tread depth.

1320boy 07-12-2006 11:58 PM

One word:cool:

:cool: DUNLOP:cool:

svxcess 07-13-2006 10:24 AM

Sometimes pronounced DUN-LOUD! :D

In an open cockpit of a Formula I car at full throttle, with 50 other cars on the track with me, and 150,000 screaming fans, I probably wouldn't notice.:p

Has Dunlop gotten significantly quieter recently? Their use of clamshell molds, as opposed to segmented molds, has not served them well in the past.

Dont post quite yet.. I gotta have time to get into my flame suit!

gest24 07-13-2006 11:05 AM

BFGs... Thats what was on my SVX when I first bought it and I loved em,

n00b on demand 07-13-2006 11:38 AM

I have sumitomo tires. They are OK tires for the most part. They dont grip as well as I would have hoped. The tread life on them is great though.

benebob 07-14-2006 07:36 AM

1. Buy new not used. Your tranny will live longer
2. If you can't afford new tires, maybe you should look at another car.
3. There are cheaper alternatives out there as far as new goes. Try Nitto, Falken, Sumitomo and Mastercraft. Easily under $100 each. www.vulcantire.com sells most of these brands. www.tirerack.com sells Sumitomos. I have Sumis Sxrions on my XT6 and they grip like nothing else I could buy for $60 mounted each. Have nearly 15k on 'em and they still look new plus the sidewall is strong so you don't run down the edge in fast turns.

msvx95 07-14-2006 09:59 AM

What's the quietest tire out there...I have the Pirellis from Tirerack and they are so, so....a little noisy at times.

benebob 07-14-2006 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msvx95
What's the quietest tire out there...I have the Pirellis from Tirerack and they are so, so....a little noisy at times.

Hoosier or Kuhmo Dot legal race tires. Won't here a bit of noise except maybe so rocks getting thrown. Granted you might get 3k out of 'em for your $800 or so dollar investment.:D

Sr240sx 07-14-2006 03:34 PM

I've run the kumho supra's bald on my 240. those tires ****ing rocked. hardcore grip, though they werent the longest lasting (however, drifting is known to not be good for tires)

nordique14 07-14-2006 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
1. Buy new not used. Your tranny will live longer
2. If you can't afford new tires, maybe you should look at another car.
3. There are cheaper alternatives out there as far as new goes. Try Nitto, Falken, Sumitomo and Mastercraft. Easily under $100 each. www.vulcantire.com sells most of these brands. www.tirerack.com sells Sumitomos. I have Sumis Sxrions on my XT6 and they grip like nothing else I could buy for $60 mounted each. Have nearly 15k on 'em and they still look new plus the sidewall is strong so you don't run down the edge in fast turns.

Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning? :p lol.

She is being offered 4 tires for free so it is understandable she doesn't want to turn down the offer. That said, new tires would be the best if you can swing it. Ask the seller for the cash they would have spent on tires and then put it towards new ones. Tons of good choices. Also, you may not get snow, but the more tread depth, the better the tire will work in the rain. Tires should be changed before they hit the wearbar if they run in the rain. Even sooner for snow.

If not, then make sure all the tires are the same brand, size and have the same tread depth. The stock tire for 92-96 was 225/50/16. The bald tires you currently run are a little taller than stock. The 97s ran 215/55/16. And are closer in diameter to the stock tires.

IIRC, the Michelin Energy tires are meant to give a cushy ride and long treadwear. Not exactly a sporty tire the SVX deserves. But if that is not your priority, then they should be fine. Just be aware that if you get used tires you will have to replace them sooner and pay for another set of tires to be mounted. Newer tires will mean a longer time before you have to shell out $$$ again.

-Matt

GreenMarine 07-14-2006 03:42 PM

Myself, I'm going with Avon M500's when I get done with these Kumho's.... If I decide that I don't want the Avon's then I'm gonna get a set of Kumho MX's... :)

DanSVX94 07-14-2006 04:28 PM

I have Nitto extremes and I like them fine. I don't understand buying a car and being told by the dealer that they will hook you up with nice used tires. WTF? Ask them to at least pay 2/3 of the cost of some new ones, and don't accept any other size than the originals.

1320boy 07-16-2006 03:13 AM

The Dunlops on my car right now GRIP! and since i need new ones soon VERY soon. i think im going to stick with them.
Even thow i a hardcore TOYO fan.
Oh well:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess
Sometimes pronounced DUN-LOUD! :D

In an open cockpit of a Formula I car at full throttle, with 50 other cars on the track with me, and 150,000 screaming fans, I probably wouldn't notice.:p

Has Dunlop gotten significantly quieter recently? Their use of clamshell molds, as opposed to segmented molds, has not served them well in the past.

Dont post quite yet.. I gotta have time to get into my flame suit!

Suby Fan 07-16-2006 01:45 PM

you want a SUPER NICE TIRE get some michelin pilot sport A/S they are a sweet tire but yeah buying used tires are fine if they are in good shape but the size is off it should be 225/50R16