The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What would happen if my timing belt broke? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27658)

nismo887 08-01-2005 06:09 PM

What would happen if my timing belt broke?

I was just wondering what would die if my timing belt broke (does the SVX have a non-interference engine).

immortal_suby 08-01-2005 06:31 PM

yes, it is non-interference.

WGJ 08-01-2005 09:51 PM

Been There, Done That...

courtesy of the idiot who did my 60,000 mile service. My timing belt "slipped" because it wasn't replaced with a new one. When it went I was in the fast lane doing 75 in heavy 5:30 rush hour traffic. The bad news is when it goes, you got NO POWER...steering, brakes, engine. The dash lights up with ALL the warning lights! Very exciting! However, the steering becomes very heavy and getting the car across four lanes of traffic while coasting is v. interesting. You have to wrestle the car...it was very gratifying to have the strength to get the car to the side of the road. My '92 has speed sensitive steering so I don't know if power failure would have as much an effect or, more accurately, lack of effect on the LS steering. The good news/bad news is the computer shuts off EVERYTHING instantly, so, you're motorin' and wham the dash is like a christmas tree and no power. The good news, if you don't get hammered in traffic, no engine or trans damage!
WGJ

ensteele 08-01-2005 10:02 PM

When you went back to the person that did your work (not replace the belt) I bet all of the lights lit up! :eek: :D :D

94svxred 08-01-2005 11:33 PM

My Dad had his timeing belt break on his 86 XTcoupe way back when (only he knows), But happy to report no damage what so ever. :p That is one of the beautiful things about our boxer engines. :D :D

Khalil 08-02-2005 04:38 AM

Some subaru engines are interface, such as the EJ25D from the Legacy GT (personal experience). But Yeah the svx is non-interface.

red95svx 08-02-2005 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WGJ
The good news/bad news is the computer shuts off EVERYTHING instantly, so, you're motorin' and wham the dash is like a christmas tree and no power.

Actually the warning lights all come on because the alternator stops spinning. This causes a drop in voltage to each of the systems, which triggers the lights. The same thing happens when the alternator output drops, or if the alternator dies.

Dave

Barry'Z (NJ) 08-04-2005 01:56 PM

What is the recommended replacement interval on the timing belt?

thundering02 08-04-2005 02:24 PM

60k miles and ALWAYS replace your timing belt in a Honda every 100k miles :shudders: never again. Oh and repace oil pumps and catalytic converters at 200k mile intervals.

Earthworm 08-16-2005 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WGJ
My '92 has speed sensitive steering so I don't know if power failure would have as much an effect or, more accurately, lack of effect on the LS steering.

Since both systems rely on power from the engine to operate you will lose power steering regardless.

I've only broken a timing belt in the Justy which doesn't have power steering to begin with so I can't confirm the above statement.

WGJ 08-16-2005 10:36 PM

Makes sense,

power steering without the power generally doesn't work v. well.
WGJ

dcarrb 08-17-2005 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WGJ
power steering without the power generally doesn't work v. well.
WGJ

Yeah, I'll second that. I've blown a hose before ('68 Mustang); removed the drive belt and drove on home. Drove it for a few days, actually, until I could get a new hose fabricated. Like driving a tractor through a recently-plowed field.

dcb

wawazat?? 08-17-2005 01:44 PM

...all HELL breaks loose :eek:

Dogs sleeping with cats, Pauly Shore makes another movie, water swirls down you bathtub drain in reverse, people idolize skinny, skanky hotel chain heiresses (oh wait...), Cubs win the World Series...the inhumanity of it all makes me shudder.

j/k-see the posts above for the correct responses.

Todd

WGJ 08-17-2005 02:15 PM

A Z? What's that doin' here?

Barry,
Apparently you made a left turn with your mouse...this is the Subaru SVX Network. I don't think we know from Z's. Nice looking car, though. Almost as good looking as a Subaru SVX. Do all Z's come with a pair of midget mechanics to keep them running? Those mehanics don't even look Japanese...
WGJ

Sean486 08-29-2005 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thundering02
60k miles and ALWAYS replace your timing belt in a Honda every 100k miles :shudders: never again. Oh and repace oil pumps and catalytic converters at 200k mile intervals.

So is the timing belt inexpensive to replace, or will it cost alot like my other cars?