The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Engine knock in drive (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12661)

DavieGravy 08-17-2003 03:14 PM

Engine knock in drive

I just replaced the fluid in my PS reservoir. After doing this, I noticed that there is a knock coming from the engine when I put it in drive. Even if I hold my foot on the brake and the car doesn't go anywhere, the knock becomes audible in the drive position. When the car is in park, the knock is somewhat there but not even close to being as loud as in drive. It could have been doing this before the PS fluid replacement, but I've just now noticed it.

I've also noticed that the tensioner pulley wobbles a bit and that this could be the cause of the knock, but if so, I don't understand why it would be worse when in drive. Does anyone have any ideas?

PS: Sorry for the extensive question asking lately. I seem to be having very bad luck with my car recently.

svx_commuter 08-17-2003 05:15 PM

Sorry to hear about your SVX knocking. Maybe it wants to come inside.:D HaHa. Did you tighten up the PS belt? Maybe its the idle pulley knocking or yanking on the crank shaft. Let me know. I have replaced both the idler pulleys cause 183,000 miles is way over the limit for them.

DavieGravy 08-17-2003 05:37 PM

The ps belt sqeels ever so slightly when the car is cold and the steering wheel is turned so I might need to do that. As far as the pulley, my car has 102k on it so this might also be a good idea. Is the pulley hard and expensive to replace? Could it just be the bolt that's bad?

svx_commuter 08-17-2003 06:51 PM

The rolling element bearing goes bad in the pulley.
But that has nothing to do with the knock you hear.
So I take it you did not tighten up the PS belt.
The knock must have been there all along.

DavieGravy 08-17-2003 06:53 PM

I'm not sure how to tighten the PS belt. The knock has been there somewhat all along as you say. I assumed it was the tensioner pulley. Could it be the oil pump? It's strange how it would do it more in drive than in park or neutral.

I do keep my gas cap loose. Perhaps I got some water in there as well.

svx_commuter 08-17-2003 07:00 PM

Is it a sharp noise like sheet metal or more of a thud like rubber hammer wrapped in ablanket hitting a concret floor?

Why do you keep the gas cap loose????

DavieGravy 08-17-2003 07:49 PM

Thanks for the further help.

It's more like a thud as you describe.
I keep the gas cap loose because my car vapor locks and hesitates in hot weather, especially with the AC on.

DavieGravy 08-18-2003 09:47 PM

Could it have something to do with my having removed the intake tube? I thought I put it back corectly.

svx_commuter 08-19-2003 09:43 AM

The only place to vapor lock is in the fuel pump. Keeping the cap on should help out the fuel pump. Have you checked the delivery pressure? Maybe your fuel pump is worn out or maybe your fuel regulator valve is worn out.

The thud sounds like the drive train. :( Does it get louder when you drive or go away?

DavieGravy 08-19-2003 01:36 PM

It goes away when I drive. I just hear it at idle and it's very faint. Sometimes it's lounder than others.

If it is the drive train, what would need to be replaced?

Thanks.

svx_commuter 08-20-2003 05:16 AM

Oh that noise. :) My SVX makes that noise and has beenfor the 3 years I have owned it with both engines. Not very noticable sometimes. I have to think about it to hear it. It might be a sticky lifter or valve or injector but I am not sure what it is. As long as it is not present at higher speeds or during accelleration I am not going to worry about it. Maybe some Marvel Mistery Oil would help. Not the drive train. :)

Paxton71 08-20-2003 06:21 PM

tap tap tap tap tap tap tap

Davie: Mine makes that noise too. always has. sure, I too thought it was the terminal big-end bearing noise...Might be. Might be skirt slap, bad wrist pin..lifter, valve, blah blah blah. Just drive it. If it gets worse, and you KNOW what it is, then fix it. Otherwise, remember some of us have heard that noise for YEARS without a failure.

Grandpa Bob quote for you.

"You can worry 'bout the son-***** breaking down or you can not worry about it breakin' down. Chances are, the damn thing will leave you walking down the side of the road in the EXACT, SAME, PLACE."

DavieGravy 08-20-2003 07:51 PM

You've got a good point there Stephen. I guess if I said I worry about this damn thing too much, it would be the understatement of the century. :rolleyes:

See you Saturday.

svx_commuter 08-21-2003 10:11 AM

I would like to not worry about it so much also. :) As a point of interest, my 91 Legacy 2.2L has a similar BEAT to it also. :) It has 203k miles now. :D

DavieGravy 08-21-2003 06:21 PM

For me, even if I don't worry about the tap, they'll be 50 trillion other noises that I will fret over. :p