The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   HID kits on the cheap. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46350)

IppoJ 09-26-2008 05:07 PM

HID kits on the cheap.

I thought I'd throw this up here. A company on the BMW forums has a new set of HID's they are going to start shipping. They are a 3/4 size, digital, lifetime warranty, lots of temperature choices and, um...... the price is $49 +s/h. yeah.

The SVX has projectors so you won't have any glare/pattern issues as long as your headlights are adjusted correctly.

This is a respected company that's been around for a long time and if you call them on the phone a real person answers. I'm not affiliated with them at all but that price is cheaper than a set of halogen bulbs.

DDM Tuning

LetItSnow 09-26-2008 08:23 PM

Re: HID kits on the cheap.

Somethin' dun't work out right in those numbers...

IppoJ 09-26-2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 565755)
Somethin' dun't work out right in those numbers...

before your ninja edit, it's $25 more for 55w

LetItSnow 09-26-2008 08:53 PM

It doesn't look like you have to buy the annual membership, either. What's the catch?

IppoJ 09-26-2008 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 565762)
It doesn't look like you have to buy the annual membership, either. What's the catch?

no catch. I've ordered from them before. My guess is that they deal in huge quantities.
Do some digging on bimmerforums, they've been around for as long as I've been on there (almost two years) and their prices have been dropping the whole time.
I bought a set of glass lensed, projector headlights for my M3 from them for $110 shipped. They are very good quality too, unlike the fake projector headlights that they used to (and probably still do) sell on eBay for the WRX.

I don't know how they do it unless they have a shop in China with a warehouse full of 8 year olds working for snickers bars. :shrug:

tiv0 09-27-2008 10:42 AM

got mine. woo

Gr8Dane 09-28-2008 04:29 AM

I wanna get these but I can't find any how-to documents on installing HIDs and calibrating them, I was never much of a handyman, I just need to know what tools I'd need, etc.

Oh, and I know nothing of the different bulb sizes, what kind does the SVX take? All I know about HIDs are the differences in color temperature :confused:

tiv0 09-28-2008 06:03 PM

you can find the bulb sizes in the owners manual

i believe its 9006 HB4

ssnsltd 09-28-2008 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gr8Dane (Post 565968)
I wanna get these but I can't find any how-to documents on installing HIDs and calibrating them, I was never much of a handyman, I just need to know what tools I'd need, etc.

Oh, and I know nothing of the different bulb sizes, what kind does the SVX take? All I know about HIDs are the differences in color temperature :confused:

several posts on how to put these in but:
no calibration required. pull up to a wall (~15ft) on a level surface and mark the beam center location. put bulbs in one at a time, check to see of you need to adjust headlight.
no special tools required.
get the 4500k= most lumes (usable light) fr the ones he offers. the 3k bulbs will be more yellow and less light. 5k+ starts going blue and less light.
order the 9006 bulb for low beam.

you MAY have to reverse the + and - wires on the harness that comes with the lights. one set I got I had to, one set not.

ensteele 09-28-2008 06:47 PM

Low beams are 9006. You should not have to calibrate them. Just replace the 9006 bulbs with the HIDs. The ones I have purchased from OT look about the same. :)

immortal_suby 09-28-2008 07:39 PM

I just ordered a set of 5000k 55w 9005's for the high beams. Too good a price to pass up. Been wanting some nice high's for the hilly backroads and to match my OT HID lowbeams
Thanks for the post.

redlightningsvx 09-28-2008 08:25 PM

Quick question. Lets say I want to get some hids on here for the lows is their a differance from getting the 35 or 55 watt upgrade? Im lighting illiterate.

Gr8Dane 09-28-2008 11:20 PM

I just ordered myself a pair of 8k 35W Lo-beam HIDs

Woohoo!
:D
Could someone please direct me to a how-to document on their installation? I've been searching the forum threads and how-to docs to no avail. :(

siceclipse 09-29-2008 01:59 PM

you dont need a "how to"

its all plug and play.

take out your old lights put these in and plug all the male/female connectors together.

the only tool needed for this job is a 1" hole saw so the wires can pass thru the healight back cover (the plastic cap that screws off in the back of your headlight assembly so you can take the bulb out).

Gr8Dane 09-29-2008 07:48 PM

Fair enough, but please understand that I'm pretty far from being mechanically inclined, seriously. Do I need to disconnect the battery? how would I mount the ballast? etc.