The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Are gas caps universal? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44553)

Ricochet 04-29-2008 07:57 PM

Are gas caps universal?

I kinda left mine at the gas station and need a new one. Could I find one at wal mart or something

NikFu S. 04-29-2008 08:08 PM

They are make dependant. If you go to an auto store and tell them what kind of car they may be able to find a match. No Wal-Mart I've ever been to has gas caps.

Subix 04-29-2008 08:17 PM

I was at the gas station and somehow lost the gas cap for my impreza. I'm not sure if wind blew it away or if someone ripped it off (why?) and really can't remember... but it was missing. $8 later (****ty) it was all taken care of. :rolleyes:

ensteele 04-29-2008 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S. (Post 544852)
They are make dependant. If you go to an auto store and tell them what kind of car they may be able to find a match. No Wal-Mart I've ever been to has gas caps.

I bought a locking one at WalMart. :) :)

IceBlade 04-30-2008 01:00 AM

This reminded me of this joke:

A blonde walked into an auto accessory parts store asking for a “710 cover” for her car engine. The man at the counter looked puzzled and told her he had never heard of a 710 cover. She explained that her car had always had one since new, but she noticed it was gone after the last servicing.

After spending an hour checking everything in the parts catalogue and consulting several other staff members, one of the service agents asked her if she could draw a 710 cover.

She held up her hands and made a circle about 2 ˝ inches. He still didn't understand and patiently asked her to draw a picture for him (by that time there were several employees watching the proceedings).

The woman drew a circle (with an edge like a flower) and wrote 710 inside the circle… All the employees started to laugh.

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_feb2003/710.jpg

shelfy 04-30-2008 09:04 AM

it's been a while, but aren't svx gas caps attached? :confused:

svxistentialist 04-30-2008 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelfy (Post 544943)
it's been a while, but aren't svx gas caps attached? :confused:

Correct Kenneth.

Mine came with a whole automobile attached to the screw thread. The downside of course, they cost more than you would expect for a gas cap.

:p :lol:

ensteele 04-30-2008 09:24 AM

I wondered how someone could loose their gas cap. :o :o

svxistentialist 04-30-2008 10:36 AM

Earl

Any Japanese market cars I have owned have had the cap as a loose fitment, you could lose it.

All the UK cars I have owned have a strange fold-out plastic holder for the gas cap, plus the neck of the filler tube is restricted so that only filler nozzles of a certain diameter can fit in there.

This is probably a legacy from the old days when leaded petrol was available from a larger diameter pumping nozzle. They were trying to ensure you could not put leaded fuel in the tank, which would "poison" the catalytic converters.

Joe

NikFu S. 04-30-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 544876)
I bought a locking one at WalMart. :) :)

Alaska Wal-Mart is not super. :/

I'm ok with that.

dcarrb 04-30-2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 544962)
All the UK cars I have owned have a strange fold-out plastic holder for the gas cap, plus the neck of the filler tube is restricted so that only filler nozzles of a certain diameter can fit in there.

U.S. cars are the same. The only way to lose an SVX cap would be if the plastic retaining hoop were removed or broken.

I'm old enough to remember the demise of leaded fuel, when some enterprising souls marketed "emergency" adaptors to allow leaded fuel to be pumped into the narrower filler neck of a car designed for unleaded only.

dcb

ensteele 04-30-2008 11:06 AM

+1 on that. :)

Speedklix 04-30-2008 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 544962)
a strange fold-out plastic holder for the gas cap

...the very reason i'm reading this thread!
If you lost your's, then it must have been an aftermarket "fits-a-buncha-cars" cap to begin with. don't fret, i'm sure it'll be easy to get another.

...in the mean time don't fill up very much and watch your speed taking corners!