The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Can you refurbish a P/W regulator/motor assembly? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38811)

Brian 05-04-2007 08:50 AM

Can you refurbish a P/W regulator/motor assembly?

The bicicle-style cable on my driver's side power window mechanism (reulator and motor assembly) is fraying: an outter strand of wire is severed and is unwinding from the cable, and bunching. I've snipped off the excess once, but it's buiding up again, and eventually I'll have to remove the assembly again to either cut off the latest strand or to replace the whole mechanism. The motor itself is good, but I don't have the expertise to replace the cable. I think it would take precisely measured lengths and tension and probably special tools. I imagine it would cost more/be more trouble to fix than replace, but I'm not sure. Even if I do replace it, it would seem like a shame to throw it away. If someone can fix it for me cheaply, that would be great! If I get a new one, would anybody like the old one? And in that case, does anyone have an assembly I could buy?

ensteele 05-04-2007 09:06 AM

I have not heard that this is a common problem, so you could pobably get a used assembly and replace it that way with less expense. Post in the Parts Wanted section to find what you need. Good luck. :)

Hocrest 05-04-2007 10:15 AM

I think I remember a post where someone did this??? No idea who or when, but if you search around you may find it.

ps, I have a regulator if you want to just replace it. Send me a PM.

b3lha 05-05-2007 02:03 AM

How about putting a tiny bit of solder at the point where it is fraying? Enough to stick the loose end to the cable, but small enough so that it will run around the pulleys.

Brian 05-08-2007 12:24 PM

Good idea! But it would have to be small enough to fit into the cable sleeve. I don't know if it's possible to be that small and effective.

Gizmotronicus 05-08-2007 06:33 PM

I would replace the whole thing. its better than having the window drop on you have it break. but you could solder it maybe. just use flux so the solder is in the wire not just on the surface of the bunch.

immortal_suby 05-08-2007 07:33 PM

I replaced the cable with a bicycle brake cable and it lasted about 4 years. I remembering it being quite painful to do it but a very satisfying acheivement when it worked. When it broke again I went for a regulator on ebay - they come up now and then pretty cheap if the motor isn't included.

Brian 05-08-2007 08:16 PM

I tried soldering a couple frays, and the solder rolled off like water. The cable's too well lubed or something. The heat of the iron wasn't enough to burn or melt off the lubricant, I guess. I had taken off the door panel since the window was stuck, and painstakingly unwound and trimmed away the frayed sections parallel to the regulator rail. It turns out that there's more fraying I couldn't access w/o removing the whole assembly. It's in the part of the cable that's wrapped around the spool on the motor. At least I'm able to get the window up. It looks like I'll end up replacing the whole thing. It's already been painful enough! :eek:

Gizmotronicus 05-09-2007 09:20 AM

That sucks.. Its pretty easy to replace though. You could try the cable method though.