The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Who uses their SVX for primary daily driving? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64791)

RedLionSVX 02-19-2019 08:55 AM

Who uses their SVX for primary daily driving?

Just wondering how many of us daily drive their SVX as a primary vehicle?
Is your car a garage queen? Or is it strictly summer or strictly winter driving with your SVX?

As my car configuration is changing, I’m considering the idea of running mine through winter next season.

LarryIII 02-19-2019 09:11 AM

Re: Who uses their SVX for primary daily driving?

When I was working, my '92 (SVXY) was my daily driver. It has about 183+K miles on it. Now that I'm retired (and retreaded) I used it very sparingly. I just drove it on some bright sunny cold days this winter. I never drive it in bad weather any more. That's what the Outbacks are for.

PEARLY & ALCYONE are show cars and stay garaged. They only come out for shows. SUBYDOO only is driven on nice days.

shotgunslade 02-19-2019 04:30 PM

'95 Brilliant Red is my daily driver (27,000). '94 Emerald Pearl (108,000) is my thrill ride. Wife has a 2006 Outback LL Bean (166,000) as daily. Soon to be replaced by '17 Forester XT Touring

svxcess 02-19-2019 04:40 PM

My 2014 Hyundai Elantra is the daily driver and goes anywhere our 2010 Outback has gone.

My 1996 Polo garage queen has gone only 138 miles in the past two years and is emissions-exempt, but still runs perfectly.

Trevor 02-19-2019 07:28 PM

My Japanese manufactured 1992 SVX was in constant use as a daily driver and covered all kinds of terrain, accept for off road conditions. It was often driven to the limit on interesting roads, but unlike most of the cars I have owned, it was never tested in a motor race. I found its handling to be very neutral and quite responsive taking all things into account. I was impressed that even though four wheel dive, drifting it through a corner did not prove a problem.

I purchased it specifically as I considered it a safe car for my wife to drive, particularly when she made the occasional trip down country. She is not inclined to hang about.:rolleyes::lol:

Subaru oldtimer 02-19-2019 08:10 PM

I alternate between my 92 SVX "beater" (until the wife finally says it has to go) and my 96 SVX as my daily commute cars. Of course I only commute about 12 miles per day at this point. (Both have over 200,000 miles on them.) For longer drives I currently use my company Subaru but will start using the 96 once I can get the winter washed off and get some protection on the new paint job I just had done in November.

SVX_MY_BABY 02-21-2019 08:35 AM

Secondary daily driver. I.E. I drive it all year long, but sparingly in winter and seldom for "errands". It lives outdoors all year. No garage.

RedLionSVX 02-21-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY (Post 750333)
Secondary daily driver. I.E. I drive it all year long, but sparingly in winter and seldom for "errands". It lives outdoors all year. No garage.

This is where I am at kind of. But right now, my daily is "End of Life" (wheels about to fall off! LOL) and I am considering putting the SVX into full time daily use.

Honestly, I have a couple of other garage queens and really should thin the herd; but I just don't want to part with any of them.

Also, if I don't put the SVX into daily status, I would have to sell at least one of my other cars (won't be my SVX!) in order to raise funds for purchasing the next daily driver.

Hence, considering my baby for daily use.

huck369 02-22-2019 08:10 AM

Mine is a Garage Queen....I take it out on nice days sometimes, and we have a big car show once a month in the summer here called "Somernites Cruise" that I take it to when I can, then Subaru Meets, The Dragon, Josephs Subaru's Show, and sometimes Reading Meet, and any others that might be fairly local.

I'm also redoing a 1988 XT6 to keep and show some...I'll have one of the first year XT6 and first year SVX in the garage. :D

My Daily Driver is a 2009 Forester with 200k+ on it

Andrew P. 02-22-2019 04:24 PM

My 92' LSL was my daily driver for about 6 years.
That changed after I got my new Tacoma in 2016.

CraigJ 02-23-2019 10:18 AM

For most days I drive electric, it's cheaper (Mitsubishi I-Miev)

But for Fridays, that is my Fun car day, so I get to drive either the 1992 Liquid Silver LS, the 1963 Chevrolet Greenbrier, or the 1964 Chevrolet Corvair Monza sedan, depending on which one is currently up on the insurance. (I rotate the 'fun' cars to keep the costs down)

Right now it's the SVX, which, with the all wheel drive, is also the bad weather default car, (will get pulled above the electric if the weather conditions dictate)

Yesterday was Friday, so I drove the SVX :)

Monday we might see snow so I might get to drive it then too :)

When it's not insured, I can't garage queen it... I don't have a garage... I have to put it under car cover.... that option is not on the poll. :/

svxcess 02-23-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigJ (Post 750353)
I don't have a garage... I have to put it under car cover... that option is not on the poll.

It is now so I added your vote,.

CraigJ 02-23-2019 04:04 PM

I feel so special

so now that I voted does that mean that there were two votes for me...

I wouldn't want to participate in voter fraud :D

svxcess 02-23-2019 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigJ (Post 750359)
So now that I voted does that mean that there were two votes for me?

I wouldn't want to participate in voter fraud :D

It has been adjusted accordingly.

RedLionSVX 02-23-2019 10:02 PM

This is all very good info. I am leaning toward full time service.

Also, thinking about this; how many of us would consider their SVX to be “not currently running project” ?