The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Does the SVX have Snap Oversteer? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47313)

SVX_MY_BABY 12-15-2008 07:34 AM

Does the SVX have Snap Oversteer?

Thinking about it, the SVX does have understeer. From my experience it's the rears that begin to break loose if you hit the corners too aggressively. Backing off on the gas real quick in that situation in any good handling car with mid engine or low centre of gravity will induce oversteer & snap oversteer in many. I've also read on this forum of a few SVX's that have rolled. I know of 2 locally.

Would like to hear from other members on this one.

Freeman 12-15-2008 07:46 AM

Re: Does the SVX have Snap Oversteer?

I know of someone that worked on an SVX just last year and as they were leaving the driveway and headed down the road, they rolled... Don't know if it was due to oversteer but I do believe so.

Also, I like to drive fast... ALL the time. And when I hit turns going at a decent speed, I feel the rear slipping a bit.. Never been scare of rolling till you mentioned it..

Thanks... :p lol

TomsSVX 12-15-2008 07:51 AM

not in its stock form... The center clutches should drop most drive to the rear wheels on a fast decceleration. Thus not providing them with any reason to lose traction... It would be incredibly hard to roll an SVX on a flat surface. Too low a center of gravity w/ tires that are not wide enough to provide the traction to let it roll.

Tom

bheinen74 12-15-2008 08:01 AM

i can see it....back wheels lose traction, slip to the side, steer it out, then they grip again all of a sudden from other direction, then roll......this is while letting up from when just coming from full throttle to slide.........

SVXRide 12-15-2008 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 576971)
not in its stock form... The center clutches should drop most drive to the rear wheels on a fast decceleration. Thus not providing them with any reason to lose traction... It would be incredibly hard to roll an SVX on a flat surface. Too low a center of gravity w/ tires that are not wide enough to provide the traction to let it roll.

Tom

What Tom said ;)

Now, in non-stock form.....:rolleyes::lol:

-Bill

Freeman 12-15-2008 09:18 AM

Could this happen if your AWD isn't working correctly? Like, what if your AWD only kicks in "every so often" or "when if feels like it"?

Zandar 12-15-2008 09:19 AM

My car's pretty stock, and if anything I've only noticed mild understeer.

I also think it would spin before it would roll, but I have yet to test this theory ;)

ridered777 12-15-2008 09:20 AM

Bill and Tom sound dead on with the rolling problem. Too wide a tires and an un-even surface/shift of altitude in a road surface, that's a different story.

I believe the original poster is thinking snap-oversteer as the wrong thing... the fact of the matter is unless the car is RWD you're not going to get snap oversteer. Snap-oversteer is referring to the car all of a sudden spinning out while in a slide that is seemingly stable. It happens in MR cars alot, and older RX-7's are also notorious for it.

With the SVX not being RWD it's just about impossible for it to develop snap-oversteer. It would seem the majority of posters on this thread believe snap overtsteer to really be snap "understeer"... that is the car is starting to slide out, and then all of a sudden catches itself, and throws the weight the other way... like on a motorcycle for instance. This could cause it to roll. Snap oversteer makes you spin out... the car wouldn't roll.

I've been heavy into the drift world the last few months, so I feel this is one of the few topics I can really weigh in at the moment on.

JaySVX 12-15-2008 11:19 AM

Rolling is hard to accomplish I would think. I also drive my SVX rather fast, take turns fast, etc. I have never felt the threat of rolling, but have felt the wheels starting to lose grip going around sharp corners at higher than normal speeds. I feel that it would slide out before it would flip on a flat surface. Now if your sliding sideways and hit a curb or something low that the wheels catch on, you might have the momentum to roll, or maybe hit a smokey and the bandit type ramp, maybe. Regular road, I don't see how it could happen, unless you turned to the left then a hard jerk to the right. Then though seems more like a spin out than a roll though.

Blenderhead 12-15-2008 12:37 PM

Years ago, when my dad owned the SVX that he recently gave to me, I borrowed the car while he was away on a business trip. I was taking an exit ramp at around 80-85, and everything was holding perfectly, right on the edge. As I approached the end of the ramp, the thought briefly crossed my mind that if anyone was coming up the road that I had to merge onto, I would be totally screwed! I lifted off the gas and just barely tapped the brakes before I could think about it and stop myself. As soon as I tapped the brakes, with the tires already right on the edge, the back end swung out almost instantly. I countered, and then when it caught it snapped the other way, then I countered again and it snapped back, spining the car 270 degrees, and smashing the rear wheel into a curb. This left me with 3 days to call every junkyard in NJ looking for an SVX, getting the whole rear suspension from one junkyard, the wheel from another, and getting everything fixed in the driveway before he got back home. I somehow managed to get it all accomplished, and afterward felt the need to confess to my dad what happened. Since the car was all back together already, luckily he wasn't too pissed. Anyway, so given that experience, I would say yes it does have snap oversteer. It was definitely less predictable mid-slide than my cougars are. I would also say that it would be extremely difficult to roll one, as I was going sideways at 80mph, and it stayed perfectly level.

LetItSnow 12-15-2008 01:53 PM

From my experience, I sure don't think it does.

Mensaf 12-15-2008 02:08 PM

My SVX has snap understeer, as in, "Oh snap! Understeer!!" My 820hp SVX in Midnight Wangan oversteers a lot. That's a hard car to flip, all things considored. I'd imagine that even with a 6spd it'd be difficult unless you had the center diff locked at the 35/65 split...maybe.

I DID however get mine up on two wheels a few times when a few of us were horsing around in an empty lot up here. I guess if you can upset the balance fast enough, you could create a situation where the car would flip over. I didn't feel going up or anything, but everyone else told me that I was definitly up on two wheels more than a few times at some really really sharp turns. I calmed down after that because I didn't feel like rolling a car that night.

TomsSVX 12-15-2008 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blenderhead (Post 577016)
Years ago, when my dad owned the SVX that he recently gave to me, I borrowed the car while he was away on a business trip. I was taking an exit ramp at around 80-85, and everything was holding perfectly, right on the edge. As I approached the end of the ramp, the thought briefly crossed my mind that if anyone was coming up the road that I had to merge onto, I would be totally screwed! I lifted off the gas and just barely tapped the brakes before I could think about it and stop myself. As soon as I tapped the brakes, with the tires already right on the edge, the back end swung out almost instantly. I countered, and then when it caught it snapped the other way, then I countered again and it snapped back, spining the car 270 degrees, and smashing the rear wheel into a curb. This left me with 3 days to call every junkyard in NJ looking for an SVX, getting the whole rear suspension from one junkyard, the wheel from another, and getting everything fixed in the driveway before he got back home. I somehow managed to get it all accomplished, and afterward felt the need to confess to my dad what happened. Since the car was all back together already, luckily he wasn't too pissed. Anyway, so given that experience, I would say yes it does have snap oversteer. It was definitely less predictable mid-slide than my cougars are. I would also say that it would be extremely difficult to roll one, as I was going sideways at 80mph, and it stayed perfectly level.

That is known as tail braking... The ability to steer the car with the brakes...not snap oversteer.

Tom

SVXRide 12-15-2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blenderhead (Post 577016)

You "trail braked" into a dynamic instability where the weight transfer got ahead of you. I did something similar in Ben and Dave's "RaceCar" a couple of years ago....
-Bill

TomsSVX 12-15-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide (Post 577034)
You "trail braked" into a dynamic instability where the weight transfer got ahead of you. I did something similar in Ben and Dave's "RaceCar" a couple of years ago....
-Bill

when in doubt... throttle out right??? Just make sure that building can move in time!!!:D:D:D:D

Tom