The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Brake Upgrades (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Removed the dust plates on front disk (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35950)

Dessertrunner 11-03-2006 01:54 AM

Removed the dust plates on front disk

I have removed the front inside dust plates to try and improve the cooling to the front disk and so far the braking is a 1,000 times better. Tomorrow I will take the car into the mountains and see if I can heat them up on the way down. Last year the pads got so hot there was smoke coming from the front and back disk and they fadded to the point I though we were in trouble. We let you all know how I go this time, if it works it is a real cheap improvement to the breaks.
Tony

Dessertrunner 11-04-2006 12:34 PM

Okay guys I got down the mountain and I floged the brakes to try and get them to heat up but just couldn't. Last time they were nearly on fire this time they never missed a beat. When I got to the botton they were still as firm as what they were at the top.
If you think about it SVX are known for warping disks wel that could be caused by one side getting no colling and the other to much.
How about one of you other guys giving this a try as well.
Tony

michael 11-04-2006 12:52 PM

I'll try it, but I would like to hear the benifits of having them on. Is there a downside to removing them?

Dessertrunner 11-04-2006 01:58 PM

Michael I was told that Subaru would not have put them on if it wasn't for a reason so I delayed trying it for a long time till I got frustrated with bad breaks. My car is driven on dirt and rocky roads all the time and I have no problem. The main thing that changed my mind was that a lot of high performace cars DON"T have them. Go for it.

sicksubie 11-04-2006 03:27 PM

Do the dust shields protect in any way the inside of the wheel bearings? It's too cold for me to walk to the garage to look.

dynomatt 11-04-2006 04:26 PM

Nope...that's what the bearing seals do.

Matt

(another shield removing convert)

Bxsvx 11-04-2006 05:45 PM

arent the front discs shields also a water shield? so if you fly through a puddle wouldnt there be a problem? I was thinking of removing mine,because they make so much damn noise, but I dont want the brakes to fail when its raining!:eek:

oab_au 11-04-2006 05:48 PM

Dust shields.

I believe that the shields are to prevent stones from lodging between the disc and caliper. I am sure you can do with out them.

Harvey.;)

oab_au 11-04-2006 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bxsvx
arent the front discs shields also a water shield? so if you fly through a puddle wouldnt there be a problem? I was thinking of removing mine,because they make so much damn noise, but I dont want the brakes to fail when its raining!:eek:

Disc brakes are immune to water. It is one of the advantages of the design.. So it won't worry them.

Harvey.;)

It's Just Eric 11-04-2006 06:24 PM

Quote:

Disc brakes are immune to water. It is one of the advantages of the design.. So it won't worry them.
Yeah, I even went a step ahead and coated my disks in teflon. now they are super waterproof!!
...kidding...

michael 11-04-2006 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au

Harvey.;)

I'm not so sure of that, when I get out of the car wash I don't have brakes for a second or two.

NikFu S. 11-04-2006 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael
I'm not so sure of that, when I get out of the car wash I don't have brakes for a second or two.

Same here, but rain isn't like water jets aiming directly at your wheels.

I've ran through deep puddles and it doesn't have the same effect as a car wash.

oab_au 11-05-2006 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael

You don't see too many bike discs, with sheilds on them.:) On a bike in the wet, you need to allow for the slight delay in breaking, till the water is swept off the disc.:eek:

Harvey.;)

svxfiles 11-05-2006 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dessertrunner
Go for it.

Thanks Tony!
Now I can drop another 1/2# off of the Claret!;)

Don't tell DI.:eek:

demonsvx 11-06-2006 08:17 PM

Hell just drill a bunch of holes in it:D