The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A/C removal ?'s (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31248)

nysvxryder 01-31-2006 10:31 AM

A/C removal ?'s

i was just curious if anyone had tried to remove their A/C unit to try and free up more power. is this a wise move? besides not having a/c what would the disadvantages of this be and would the power increase be worth it?

svxfiles 01-31-2006 10:42 AM

You will be saving more weight than power.
At wide open throttle the AC clutch is disconnected, so the only power loss is the free spinning pulley, and belt drag.

Note; the AC bracket and AC adjuster weighs 7 pounds not counting the compressor(16), hoses, condenser(8), belt, evaporator, etc, etc.

dcarrb 01-31-2006 10:47 AM

Disadvantages:

1. You'll no longer have air conditioning.
2. You'll lose the dehumidifying function of the AC system when using the defrost.
3. You'll degrade the car's value.

Functional gain from removing AC: None.

dcb

TomsSVX 01-31-2006 10:53 AM

I would not suggest doing this to a car that will be driven daily. This is a job for me more of a weekend toy/race car

Tom

dcarrb 01-31-2006 11:05 AM

Fact is, there's just not much one can do to an SVX to "free-up more power" while maintaining the character of the car.

dcb

TomsSVX 01-31-2006 11:15 AM

Very true, but that is all in the eye of the beholder. I know it is cool to have a super cool car but make sure you don't lose it's ability to function normally if you want to drive it everyday and you rely on it

Tom

svxstarship 01-31-2006 11:40 AM

I did not realize the a/c contributed to the defrost function. Maybe that's the defrost is not working that great since I remove the ac belt. Are you sure about this?

dcarrb 01-31-2006 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxstarship
I did not realize the a/c contributed to the defrost function. Maybe that's the defrost is not working that great since I remove the ac belt. Are you sure about this?

Yeah, the AC compressor kicks-in with the defroster to dehumidify the cabin air, but disconnecting the belt wouldn't stop your defroster from working. You'd still get heat from the defrost vents.

dcb

Earthworm 01-31-2006 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxstarship

The A/C will only work with the defrost down to about freezing. Below that the A/C stays off.

TomsSVX 01-31-2006 01:23 PM

The A/C plays a huge part in the defrost system. Ask anyone who has a coolant leak, their defrost sucks!! not to mention that you can hear the compressor kick on

Tom

svxstarship 01-31-2006 04:31 PM

Thanks. I think I'll put the belt back on.