The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tribeca engine Anyone have good pics? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27371)

sxewhodey 07-16-2005 12:09 PM

Tribeca engine Anyone have good pics?

Just curious on how the H-6 engine looks in comparison to the svx? I got some specs but were curious how much the engine might be alike forfuture swaps?
"3.0-liter DOHC aluminum-alloy 24-valve 6-cylinder horizontally opposed SUBARU BOXER engine with Active Valve Control System (AVCS) and Active Valve Lift System (AVLS). Iridium spark plugs." There is one pic of the h-6 cover on the website but didnt have any luck finding other ones.

TomsSVX 07-16-2005 01:42 PM

since there will probobly be a market for the 3.0l h6 it might not be an entirely horrible idea to upgrade to the 3.0 If it was possible that is

Tom

NikFu S. 07-16-2005 01:46 PM

Isn't it the same one in the Outback?

triumph1902 07-16-2005 02:34 PM

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tribec...ca06motor1.JPG

Looks like it might be possible. Ill stop by a dealership one of these days and take some pics from the bottom.

TomsSVX 07-16-2005 10:56 PM

what do we have in the line of dimensions??

Tom

Chiketkd 07-16-2005 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomssvx
what do we have in the line of dimensions??

Tom

I'd like to know that as well. The variable valve timing feature typically requires 'deeper' valve covers (in other cars)...

-Chike

P.S. Even though this engine has an extra 20hp, due to it's smaller displacement, its down on torque (3.0 H6 makes ~212ft-lbs, while EG33 makes 228 ft-lbs). Personally, I'd stick with the EG33... ;)

TomsSVX 07-16-2005 11:19 PM

while this may be true, the aftermarket upgrades may be worth the while of the swap. That was my main point

Tom

NikFu S. 07-16-2005 11:22 PM

Besides, do we know how much it can be bored/stroked?

Chiketkd 07-16-2005 11:43 PM

Quote:

while this may be true, the aftermarket upgrades may be worth the while of the swap. That was my main point

Tom

True. Guess we'll have to see if it'll fit. I wonder how much junk-yards would sell practically new 3.0 H6's for? :confused: Must be at least 1-1.5K???

-Chike

Landshark 07-16-2005 11:57 PM

Quote:

Tom

there's a big aftermarket for the 3.0L H6? :confused:

if you're gonna go to the trouble of replacing the engine, why not throw in the STi engine - at least that makes some power.

immortal_suby 07-17-2005 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark
there's a big aftermarket for the 3.0L H6? :confused:

if you're gonna go to the trouble of replacing the engine, why not throw in the STi engine - at least that makes some power.

Of the people that are likely to want to boost power after buying a new car, the people with the option (legacy & outback buyers) are going to go for the turbo 2.5 H-4 vs. the 3.0 H-6. That's where the aftermarket will be. Turbo power.

I doubt we will see much aftermarket for the 3.0 and the tribecca isnt the type of car that enthusiasts are going to buy with the thought of upgrading in mind.

benebob 07-17-2005 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby
Of the people that are likely to want to boost power after buying a new car, the people with the option (legacy & outback buyers) are going to go for the turbo 2.5 H-4 vs. the 3.0 H-6. That's where the aftermarket will be. Turbo power.

I doubt we will see much aftermarket for the 3.0 and the tribecca isnt the type of car that enthusiasts are going to buy with the thought of upgrading in mind.

Haven driven both the 2.5 turbo and the 3.0, hands down the 3.0 wins in my book because it is silky smooth and the power is always there. I'm definately not a big fan of subarus new turbo lag they seemed to get in trade from Saab for the 9-2.

Manarius 07-17-2005 08:05 AM

I'd take displacement over turbos any day. I don't know why Subaru has such a fascination with turbo Boxer 4's when their H-6's are superb. I only with that the new Legacy's came with H-6's; but sadly, they do not.

immortal_suby 07-17-2005 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
Haven driven both the 2.5 turbo and the 3.0, hands down the 3.0 wins in my book because it is silky smooth and the power is always there. I'm definately not a big fan of subarus new turbo lag they seemed to get in trade from Saab for the 9-2.

I've driven both also and I actually liked the turbo better. The 6 was strong but I just liked the turbo punch. Neither were strong enough in my eyes but choosing between the two I would go with the turbo because of the aftermarket tuner support for hp upgrades.

immortal_suby 07-17-2005 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius
I'd take displacement over turbos any day. I don't know why Subaru has such a fascination with turbo Boxer 4's when their H-6's are superb. I only with that the new Legacy's came with H-6's; but sadly, they do not.

You can get a legacy outback with the 3.0 and ditch the ugly 2-tone paint and it looks just about identical to a regular legacy. :)