The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dead in the driveway (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15272)

TCamusJr 12-27-2003 02:26 PM

Dead in the driveway

Well after a good 6 months of trouble free operation since the alternator went bad last June, the power steering went out last night. I had a time getting her home and all the while the dash and headlights slowly faded out, but I made it home. Luckily just in time, because she then died in the driveway. Now she wont even start. Had to push her out of the way.

Sound familiar to anyone? Power steering goes out, then all lights slowly fade out, then car dies totally? There were some trashed and severed wire or belt or twine looking things hangin off the engine area too. I'll take some pictures and maybe someone can identify it.

I'm pretty bummed out about all this now, too.

Green1995SVX 12-27-2003 04:08 PM

Sounds like your PS/Alt multi-v belt broke. Let me know when you're free and I'll help you replace it.

Mike

Ron Mummert 12-27-2003 08:39 PM

Hmmmmm....it seems there've been a lot of posts lately reporting the agony of shredded AC/alternator belts. What's the expected life of these bad boys? I had mine changed 27K ago when I did the timing belt. Should I be sweating bullets yet?

Ron (Getting belted is a life style).

svxistentialist 12-28-2003 12:39 PM

What's the expected life of these bad boys? I had mine changed 27K ago when I did the timing belt. Should I be sweating bullets yet?

Ron,

I don't think any of mine were ever changed till I changed them last year at about 80K mls.

If they are tightened up to the proper tension, and running in line as they should, there is no reason to expect them to fail. The friction heat of slippage due to looseness will obviously damage them and shorten their expected lives, but good quality automotive belts should be good for up to 100K mls and 8 to 10 years.

If your question is a serious one [an odd one slips through that isn't;) ], then I would say check condition at 60K miles. If you can see the ridges splitting on the insides, change them.

Joe

Ron Mummert 12-28-2003 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by svxistentialist
What's the expected life of these bad boys? I had mine changed 27K ago when I did the timing belt. Should I be sweating bullets yet?

If your question is a serious one [an odd one slips through that isn't;) ], then I would say check condition at 60K miles. If you can see the ridges splitting on the insides, change them.

Joe

Thanks, Joe (seriously). I wonder if the shredded belt epidemic isn't perhaps more a symptom of tensioners seizing, rather than belt failure. Some of these cars are almost TWELVE years old!

Ron (another WD-40 application discovered).

AFBeefcake 12-28-2003 08:56 PM

On the topic of tensioners seizing. Does any one know of the part number for the bearing that is in the tensioner? I know you can't get the bearing from subaru without buying the pulley too, but I think there is a number on the bearing that could be used to get a replacement from a bearing house.

svxistentialist 12-29-2003 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Mummert

. Some of these cars are almost TWELVE years old!

Ron (another WD-40 application discovered).

Almost, eh?

My JDM car was first registered in November 1991, so I am already over the twelve limit.:p

Still on the original Japaneses battery, which fires it up every time.

Not bad, eh?

Joe:)