The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Correct Pronunciation (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8029)

BLKSVX92 01-07-2003 09:57 PM

Correct Pronunciation

I was watching Jeopardy today, and Alycone was part of a question...however, the pronunciation was different from that of what we believe is correct

it was pronounced AL-sigh-IN-EE

just to letcha know

Ron Mummert 01-07-2003 10:31 PM

Re: Correct Pronunciation

Quote:

Originally posted by BLKSVX92
I was watching Jeopardy today, and Alycone was part of a question...however, the pronunciation was different from that of what we believe is correct

it was pronounced AL-sigh-IN-EE

just to letcha know

Just to be a pompous grammarian, I popped open a 40 year old Random House Dictionary COLLEGE EDITION! (So it cain't be too dumb)!

Uh... BLKSVX92 & Alex Trebec are pretty close.
Without the ability to reproduce the pronunciation symbols here, I'd say al-SY-a-ney, accent on SY.
Yer welcome - Ron.

BLKSVX92 01-07-2003 10:32 PM

hah, thnx Ron, i knew how i put it was wrong..but gets the point across...thnx for the fix

CDG 01-07-2003 10:42 PM

I'm going to call my old Japanese retired co-worker in the next month, he used to work at Subara Japan, as an excecutive. I'll ask him how he would pronounce it in english...mind you his engrish really sucks, but he can write english better that I.

When I tell him I'm buying an SVX, he'll probably have some story's for me. I'll share them after I chat with him.

svx_commuter 01-08-2003 06:28 AM

HA:D

I got this firsthand from our local agent. He just came over here a few months ago. His english is not to good. I was showing him the SVX and he tells me in Japan it is not sold by Subaru it is sold by:

al-SEEownknee

Which as I said what? I realized he was saying "Alycone".

It sounds a lot more Italian than Japanese to me.:)

BLKSVX92 01-08-2003 06:31 AM

That is why i started this thread.....which is right?....im going with what i heard, and what Ron found in the good'ol dictionary

svxistentialist 01-08-2003 06:44 AM

Japanese or Italian [Itarion?] sound

Japanese are legendary for their love of language, and latch on to what for them are exotic and foreign words. Often with comical effect. Frendlee Bongo anyone?

I am assuming they are taking Alcyone from Italian, the Italian word for Halcyon from the Greek. They love English and Italian words.

So should we use the Italian pronunciation of the word, or should we use what the Japanese might expect to be the correct sound from the spelling?

It's Italian for me, folks, I tend to KISS.

Joe:)

Anyone of Italian blood care to hazard the correct phonetics?:D

Aredubjay 01-08-2003 09:20 AM

Re: Japanese or Italian [Itarion?] sound

Quote:

Originally posted by svxistentialist
Japanese are legendary for their love of language, and latch on to what for them are exotic and foreign words. Often with comical effect. Frendlee Bongo anyone?

I am assuming they are taking Alcyone from Italian, the Italian word for Halcyon from the Greek. They love English and Italian words.

So should we use the Italian pronunciation of the word, or should we use what the Japanese might expect to be the correct sound from the spelling?

Hmmmm. I thought it was Latin.

We have a very expensive video camera here at the office. It's an HL- . . . . 350, or somethingorother. One day, when looking through the owner's guide, I found out what the HL stood for. Would you belive "Handy Looky."

svxcess 01-08-2003 11:09 AM

If it's on your license plates, you'd best know how to pronounce it

I have ALCYONE on my Maryland plate. Last year I contacted the New York Public Library to have them research it. Within 45 minutes I received a call from the Haydn Planetarium and, later that day, the Columbia University Observatory.

They both had the same pronunciation: el-SIGH-uh-nee

I also checked with Mt. Palomar Observatory when I was in California last summer: same pronunciation.

svx_commuter 01-08-2003 01:03 PM

Japanese librarians?;)

When in Rome do as the Japanese do?

Aredubjay 01-08-2003 01:12 PM

Ron actually pronounces it "Alchy One." :D

svx_commuter 01-08-2003 01:20 PM

I thought it was Al-cone-eeeee. I like that one.:):p

fjm57 01-08-2003 01:54 PM

Got this off Atomica
Al·cy·o·ne
1. Greek Mythology. The daughter of Aeolus who, in grief over the death of her husband Ceyx, threw herself into the sea and was changed into a kingfisher.
2. Greek Mythology. A nymph, one of the Pleiades.
3. Astronomy. The brightest star in the Pleiades, in the constellation Taurus.
I think the standard Subaru badge is supposed to represent the Pleiades, so I guess 3 pertains to us.

Alcyone Wav File

Isn't Trivia cool!
Jim

Andy 01-08-2003 01:58 PM

ALCYONE ????

...........but you can't even pronounce TOMATO correctly

:p :p :p

CigarJohnny 01-08-2003 02:06 PM

Re: Japanese or Italian [Itarion?] sound

Quote:

Originally posted by svxistentialist

Does this mean the way I've been saying it is correct? It rhymes with "Al Capone". :D