The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   4EAT compatibility (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61414)

davew833 03-11-2013 02:52 PM

4EAT compatibility

Looking at picking up a cheap '92 Legacy EJ22T Turbo automatic and just wondered if this model had the same 4EAT the '92 SVX had, and thus, the same problems with tranny overheating, etc. It IS a smaller engine and less powerful by about 70 hp if that makes a difference.

Blacky 03-11-2013 02:58 PM

Re: 4EAT compatibility

No it's not the same tranny.

1986nate 03-12-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davew833 (Post 720969)
Looking at picking up a cheap '92 Legacy EJ22T Turbo automatic and just wondered if this model had the same 4EAT the '92 SVX had, and thus, the same problems with tranny overheating, etc. It IS a smaller engine and less powerful by about 70 hp if that makes a difference.

It's 3.90 ratio and stronger than other Subaru transmissions. Possibly as many friction discs as the SVX transmission, but not 100% sure about that.

jetboy 03-12-2013 12:42 PM

So what are the requirements to fit a tranny to an SVX?

I guess the front part has to mate with the flywheel part, the final drive has to match the LSD and it has to handle the torque?

I have VTD, is that a system that goes with any Subaru automatic or do I need a VTD version?

So far, I'm pleased with the 4EAT but more gears wouldn't hurt. Also, Sportshift was fun. Can I put a 5EAT into my car?

dragoontwo 03-12-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetboy (Post 721009)

I guess the front part has to mate with the flywheel part, the final drive has to match the LSD and it has to handle the torque?

I have VTD, is that a system that goes with any Subaru automatic or do I need a VTD version?

So far, I'm pleased with the 4EAT but more gears wouldn't hurt. Also, Sportshift was fun. Can I put a 5EAT into my car?

As far as transmissions fitting on the engines, practically any Subaru transmission will bolt up to the SVX. Getting the newer automatics to work properly is quite intensive.

jetboy 03-12-2013 03:40 PM

As in TCU input and control?

1986nate 03-12-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetboy (Post 721009)

If yours is VTD, you need to use another VTD trans with the same type (normally open or norm closed) C solenoid or if its different, have the matching TCU as well as ensuring the rear diff is the same ratio. All of this, plus needs to be a phase 1 transmission. (in the US, this is 90-98 EJ based Subarus)

jetboy 03-13-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 721025)
If yours is VTD, you need to use another VTD trans with the same type (normally open or norm closed) C solenoid or if its different, have the matching TCU as well as ensuring the rear diff is the same ratio. All of this, plus needs to be a phase 1 transmission. (in the US, this is 90-98 EJ based Subarus)

Could any of these automatics handle power in the range of 310-400nm (in case I ever get money to uprate the engine)?