The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Scan Says "P0330 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2) (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41409)

wynndi 10-18-2007 05:18 PM

Scan Says "P0330 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2)

"P0330 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2)" I can't attach the whole report (I have a AutoXray Scanner, lots of good info) but this code is new to me.

Car sat for 2+ months while I was undergoing USN Chief Induction and redoing the brakes little by little.

Cleared the code 3x, but it's coming back every time.

Can someone lead me to exactly what the problem is and if it's something I could fix in my garage?

Thanks!

AlcyoneDaze 10-18-2007 08:17 PM

knock sensor, some 50 odd dollars from subaru. look in the how-to section for which side #2 is, hopefully its passenger side, because the driver's side is a bear to get to and (unless you're arms and hands can bend and twist like the 'single' bullet that got Kennedy) will necessitate removal of the intake manifold. Its all in the how-to section.

*Good time to do new intake manifold gaskets, vacuum hoses, the PCV valve, and if your clutzy as me, some expensive new sensors, as well as an R134a recharge.

SVXdc 10-19-2007 03:23 PM

Go ahead and replace both knock sensors — If one is bad, the other is likely soon to follow.

Several less-expensive aftermarket parts are listed in this thread:
knock sensor
Also see the link in post #5 to the annotated pictures in SVXRide's locker. He was able to replace both sensors after removing only the alternator and the plastic "H-6" engine cover. Much easier than removing the intake manifold.

Additional threads:
Knock Sensor Replacement - Long

Knock Sensors

intake manifold (should you opt to remove it for easier access)

Pictures by svxfiles: Rear knock sensor
I'm about to do this myself, but need to borrow a few exotic socket wrench extensions.

wynndi 10-19-2007 05:56 PM

I'll remove my Boxer cover and check out the access tomorrow. Ordered 2 replacements.

Since getting the code, performance has gone to shi*. Timing must be reacting to a knock that ain't there.

Anyone know which one is "#2"? I want to change that 1st if I'm pressed for time.

SVXdc 10-19-2007 10:49 PM

Knock Sensor #1 is on bank #1, the side with cylinder #1, which is the frontmost on the passenger's side (on LHD cars).

So #2 is on the left (driver's side).

I've added links to some more threads in my previous post.

wynndi 11-03-2007 01:30 PM

Did the sensors last night. The rear one (driver's side) was a major beyoch. I fashioned a hook out of coat hanger wire to get it out and taped the bolt to the sensor for reinstall. Dropping it would be like playing "operation" only a whole lot less fun. 2 sensors, alternator R&R = 4 hours. Running beautifully now, thanks for all the advice!

immortal_suby 11-03-2007 01:41 PM

Great job!
That rear sensor is a real pain in the neck.

SoobCrazy 06-23-2010 05:14 PM

Re: Scan Says "P0330 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2)

Looks like I'll be doing this in the coming days... At least I found the information!

SoobCrazy 07-29-2010 02:11 AM

Re: Scan Says "P0330 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2)

Well, I finally got the new knock sensors in. Only took about three hours, and I didn't pull the manifold, but it still sucked.