The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   4.11 swap shifting, different problem (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39045)

jeffast 05-20-2007 11:21 PM

4.11 swap shifting, different problem

my car likes to redline the living **** out of second, it wont shift out of second unless i let off of the gas down to less than 2/3 of the way depressed, if i floor it it will down shift even when its past the redline and jerk the car to a lower speed it only does this with second, any ideas?

Trevor 05-21-2007 12:03 AM

What is involved with this ---- 4.11 swap ----- with valve body shift kit :confused:

Have you checked for codes? Check the TPS. Go a little easier on your car. :p

jeffast 05-21-2007 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor
What is involved with this ---- 4.11 swap ----- with valve body shift kit :confused:

i forget who makes it, i think small car, it just firms, and speed up the shifts, it required machineing the valve body and replacine a few springs and ball bearings, my local trusted shop reccomended it
the tps is set dead on at 5.2 volts
and i keep forgetting to check tcs codes, i'll do it tommorow

jeffast 05-21-2007 01:02 AM

Quote:

i forget who makes it, i think small car, it just firms, and speed up the shifts, it required machineing the valve body and replacine a few springs and ball bearings, my local trusted shop reccomended it
the tps is set dead on at 5.2 volts
and i keep forgetting to check tcs codes, i'll do it tommorow

Trevor 05-21-2007 02:29 AM

OK. You have checked the TPS set position, but your fault is more likely to result from erratic contact at the upper end of travel. Have a look in my locker for more advice.

Was the fault noticed a short time after the transmission work? Have you asked your trusted shop about the problem?

huck369 05-21-2007 05:11 AM

Yep, Jeff,
I'd ask the guys at the shop that installed the shift kit, as it could be related to it, before I'd try anything else....asking them should be free, since it's concerning work they did.

jeffast 05-21-2007 02:50 PM

they said it shouldn't affect shift points,

jeffast 05-21-2007 02:51 PM

Quote:

OK. You have checked the TPS set position, but your fault is more likely to result from erratic contact at the upper end of travel. Have a look in my locker for more advice.

Was the fault noticed a short time after the transmission work? Have you asked your trusted shop about the problem?

i'm pretty sure that its not the tps i checked it severial times before i put it in and it tested like brand new, within specs, and went up and down nice and evenly
edit: i bought the car with a blown transmission, it had been sitting for a year or more in a field, it had first and reverse when i started working on it, and i found a 4.11 trannie cheap

Trevor 05-21-2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffast
i'm pretty sure that its not the tps i checked it severial times before i put it in and it tested like brand new, within specs, and went up and down nice and evenly
edit: i bought the car with a blown transmission, it had been sitting for a year or more in a field, it had first and reverse when i started working on it, and i found a 4.11 trannie cheap

OK. You are doing all the right things, but as so often, these do not help.:eek:

It's Just Eric 05-21-2007 10:10 PM

Send a pm to svxfiles about his transmission resistor modification for 4.11's...Im dont know if that has anything to do with your problem, or if it could remedy it...But he is the guy to ask:)

jeffast 05-21-2007 11:37 PM

cool thanks i just pmed him

Trevor 05-22-2007 12:03 AM

Quote:

cool thanks i just pmed him

The resistor is not involved. Refer my locker where there are details regarding the function of the resistor and the relationsip to solenoid "A" and line pressure.

Trevor 05-22-2007 12:09 AM

Quote:

they said it shouldn't affect shift points,

The kit is most likely intended to raise line pressure at certain points in the hydraulic circuit, in order to increase clutch pressures, as a means of improving issues involving friction.

jeffast 05-23-2007 09:40 PM

to add a little more info, the car does stutter a little going from 2nd to third, i've noticed, how bad is this?

Trevor 05-23-2007 09:51 PM

Quote:

to add a little more info, the car does stutter a little going from 2nd to third, i've noticed, how bad is this?

Engine stutter, transmission slip, torque reaction, delay in shifting? :confused: