The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cruise FAILURE (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37492)

James Scott 02-14-2007 04:23 AM

Cruise FAILURE

My Cruise control failed to SET today for the first time ever! I had my main catalytic convertor replaced..(actually stayed home from work to attend to this)..Bcuz the SVX was way too quiet..and gutless (no Magnaflow muffler sounds!). The cat had evidently failed after being banged (drop springs)..even though the bad cat was installed less than 1 1/2 years ago! Also, today I had my oil and ATF (Redline D4) changed (4 qts). SO...I got paranoid when my cruise failed to SET for the first time! [Usually, such a coincidence might be explained by a cut wire...or a pulled vacuum tube, for example (just common-sense that the services might have been linked).

However, as I started to trouble shoot..I got out my Vol 6 Electrical OEM manual and looked for a blown fuse. To my surprise, the Headlight Fuse (#23) was melted..and apparently bad (I shuda checked, HUH?)...SO...I'm waiting (sleep) to try it in the morning [I think it is somehow related to the Cruise Control circuit (??)]. I think this melted fuse might be related to an intermittent failure I've been experiencing for a few months now!

The Brake Light dash warning light has been coming on/off very infrequently...and related to no obvious activity, like brake on/off..or any other change I've been able to relate...? I thought maybe the brake lightbulb was beginning to fail (maybe intermittent short of filament?) when this first began...BUT, I believe this has taken place (very infrequently, lasting on/off for a very few moments to a few minutes) for about 6 months now (everyday to once a week).

If you're familiar with this partial failure/indication, please share any insight. I'll let you know about the Cruise Control tomorrow! The Cruise is very important to me...because I use it constantly {and feel it helps to prevent speeding tickets [preventing undesirable and unwanted speed surges] in the long run}.

THANKS for your help! :confused: :D

Hocrest 02-14-2007 07:16 AM

For the intermittent brake light, remove the cap from the brake fluid, there is a rubber seal in the cap that should be concave. If it is convex, it will push the fluid out of the way and activate the light. Reset the seal and check your fluid while your in there.

For the cruise, directly above the brake fluid reservoir is a black plastic vacuum canister mounted to the firewall. On the one side is a cable going to the throttle body, on the drivers side is a vacuum tube going to the cruise control box under the engine bay fuse panel. Check this vacuum tube, either it may have slipped off, or the plastic nipple broke off.

James Scott 02-14-2007 07:18 PM

Fuse...& Cruise...?

The "Headlight" (?) fuse that was melted didn't help the cruise when replaced (I know..don't laugh! ha!). Thanks for the TIPS! I'll check both! [I remember experiencing the brake fluid reservoir problem before].. . .

THANKS! Jim :D

P.S. I'm in withdrawal from my CRUISE CONTROL! [Shakes!, Jitters!, Fear of Police!...etc.!]

ensteele 02-14-2007 09:06 PM

Does the light come on? If not, it is electrical. If the light is on and doesn't work, it could be the vaccume line. That is also a comon problem.:)

James Scott 02-15-2007 02:20 AM

Goody!

THANKS Dave! I checked the vacuum line....and sure enough! The vacuum line was knocked off by the service guy when adding/checking ATF level!

I'll look at the dash light problem next...BUT I LOVE HAVING MY CRUISE BACK!

THANKS....Jim :D :cool: