The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spray paint on my car, what should I do? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34377)

Sköttie P 07-23-2006 09:10 PM

Spray paint on my car, what should I do?

1 Attachment(s)
So the other day, my genius of a roommate thought it was a champion of an idea to spray paint some shelves of his. He also thought it was a good idea to do this spray painting in the garage. The closed garage... where my SVX was. :mad:

Fortunately my car is dark green so the thin layer of black spray paint that's now on it isn't all that visible, but it is definitely there to the touch. It's also slightly dull instead of the normal nice gloss that it normally has. I included a pic of some newspaper that was right next to my car and had a shoebox on it during the incident so it provides a good before/after of what my baby is currently covered in. I must work hard to suppress my rage just looking at it.

Anyway, I don't really know a lot about car paint or spray paint for that matter. I'm wondering how to proceed, is it something that I could have professionally buffed out do you think? Or is it going to necessitate a repainting at some point (if I ever have the money :( )?

Am so very irritated right now. Hoping some kind and knowledgeable souls might have some advice.

dannmarr 07-23-2006 09:17 PM

Try a non abrasive hand cleaner with Lanolin. Try it on a small area first. No need to rub hard. It should work, just make sure it's the all natural type.

SubaSteevo 07-23-2006 10:20 PM

Probably a simple answer that you may have already tried, but did you wash the car?

I had a similar incident with my dad's Acura, a guitar, and some orange paint (although I had the garage door open, AND put up a tarp so there was no overspray). Washed right off (thank [the deity of your choosing]).

Noir 07-23-2006 11:35 PM

Take your belt off and beat your roommate with it.

j/k

hope you can find a way to get that paint off. :(

1320boy 07-24-2006 01:07 AM

I agree with this guy but not jokingly.(kick his ass)
Anyway the dick hole that lives in the back house had the same idea to paint out side where my baby was parked. Its was ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!!:mad: :mad:

But i used a clay bar on the car and buffing steel wool for the windows.
woked great just be in your garage and keep the clay wet.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir

Take your belt off and beat your roommate with it.

j/k

hope you can find a way to get that paint off. :(

It's Just Eric 07-24-2006 03:59 PM

ThisISHowWeDoItAtTheShop...
(+1GuyBeforeMe)

ClayBar.
ForTheWindowsUseAFineSteelWool.DontSteelWoolMirror s,ForSomeReasonTheyScratch.
WhateverThatDoesentGetRubbingCompundWill
ItllTakeSomeWorkButBelieveMeWhenISaySprayPaintCome sOffEasierThanRoadLinePaint:(

Sköttie P 07-24-2006 08:04 PM

Hey, gang. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll start in small steps, i.e. with a good washing (haven't had a chance to do so yet, maybe that'll do the trick) then move up to the hand cleaner, clay bar, etc. It's actually already come off the windshield just from a good rain the other day and a good elbow-greased window washing with Invisible Glass so I'm optimistic that the rest might come off relatively easy.

As far as the roommate, the belt wasn't a bad idea, but I'm actually thinking that Noir's avatar is giving me some good ideas. ;)

Bwana 07-24-2006 11:18 PM

Clay bar should do the trick, just make sure to keep it extra slippery.