The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   interference engine? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12984)

milesmc214 09-05-2003 04:46 PM

interference engine?

Does anyone know if the svx has an interference engine? I just want know just incase my cambelt were to break. Im in the process of getting a new one now. If it isnt I might be able to put a new one in with my dad.

immortal_suby 09-05-2003 04:51 PM

non-interference

milesmc214 09-05-2003 04:54 PM

thanks

Thanks, do you know, is it hard to replace the belt yourself or is it something way out of my league.

immortal_suby 09-05-2003 06:34 PM

I have not done it but a number of members have and all have said it is an easy DIY. Someone here wrote up a how-to with pictures. A search should uncover it.

svx_commuter 09-05-2003 07:47 PM

When you do the belt do the crank and cam seals too. :)

Happy belting. :)

nnjsvx 09-05-2003 08:20 PM

I think you mean the timing belt. You should consider changing idler pulley for the belt and the water pump at the same time. The labor to do the timing belt exposes the water pump and another 1/2 hr on top of a 3-4 hr job is worth the avoidance. For me anyway. These times are what a dealer says the book calls for and doing it yourself may be longer. My local non-dealer mechanic agrees with the timing estimate.

alacrity024 09-05-2003 10:45 PM

hang on, meow..

about two or three months ago, someone here had some pretty serious engine trouble, and as i recall, some email conversations with the folks at Subaru of America revealed that the SVX engine WAS an interference engine..

not that i'm entirely convinced, but i'm a little hesitant to just go ahead and agree..

-adam

thumper_svx 09-05-2003 10:48 PM

Hmm... that's strange. One of the big points Subaru has made in the past about the flat-engines and their H-6 in particular was that it was a non-interference engine.

Personally I never had a timing belt go in an SVX, so I wouldn't know... but I recently had the pleasure of seeing a Honda V-6 engine stripped down after a timing-belt issue... I think I might build some sort of ornament out of the pummelled valves ;)

want-a-fast-svx 09-06-2003 12:26 AM

Just so you folks know I'm the one who had those serious engine problems that got screwed by #$(@@!%)# subaru in clearwater florida. ANd from the info i've gathered (and if you search for post under my member name/number you'll find the post i'm talking about) the engine in the svx is an interference engine. I know everyone and there mother on here thinks its not and everything i've read has said its not but im telling you i lost over $1000.00 on my engine blowing not even 24hrs later b/c of a supposed timing belt tensioner going. But im not going to get into that story it just makes me want to do some very drastic, very bad things so im going to stop....

professor_56 09-07-2003 10:02 AM

Hello, everybody
I'd like to add my "direct experience" to this thread. A couple of years ago, the water pump went out on my '93, taking the timing belt out with it. There were no bent valves or other damage to the engine, thank goodness. My mechanic said "It's a good thing it is not an interference engine".

P.S. That incident was 25,000 miles ago, and I haven't had any related problems from it.

Subafreak 09-07-2003 12:19 PM

The engine is non-iterferance, Want-a-fast, you just got screwed and BS'd so the dealer wouldn't have to except resposibility for what ever happend to your motor. ( what ever did happen with your motor?) The issue with the reprint is becouse of the 2.5DOHC motors. They were also originally called non-inter. motors becouse the pistons won't contact the valves, but as people started braking belts they found out the the valves were contacting each other and bending so they now call all there DOHC motors interference motors. But becouse the SVX motor has gears cam to cam instead of the belt, it is very unlikely that valve to valve contact will ever happen in the SVX.

GreenMarine 09-08-2003 06:55 AM

Exactly! The EG33 and the EJ22 were the two non-interferrence engines that subaru made... Many argue that the EJ22 was the best engine that Subaru ever made... I dissagree and think that the EG33 and the EJ22 are the greatest engines that subaru ever made... Non-interferrence engines will always be better in my opinion... \\

Huck had his timing belt go a few months ago... He said that everything just spun down and stopped, nothing diffrent than turning your car off... Thank goodness for Non-Interferrence!!!:D :cool:

Earthworm 10-11-2003 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
Exactly! The EG33 and the EJ22 were the two non-interferrence engines that subaru made...
You can't just stop with those 2 engines. I know first-hand that the Justy's 1.2 3-banger is a non-interference engine and for that I'm thankful.

Trevor 10-11-2003 09:59 PM

Bloody hell ! Next some stupid bastard is going to tell me that my FF1 pashrod motor is interference. :confused: Where in hell do these stupid notions come from.

OrthopodSvx 10-12-2003 09:01 PM

One month ago my water pump ate it and took out the timing belt, idler pulleys, shot little ball bearings out that melted through the timing covers... Valves are fine. Tell your bloody hell to invest in Band-Aids.

Mike.:cool: