The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   my a/c is leaking bad (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30489)

n00b on demand 12-27-2005 02:10 PM

my a/c is leaking bad

So i attempted to recharge my a/c system today. It leaks out completley once every 2 months...at least thats what it did during the summer. So i got my can of r-134a....hooked it up to the line and after a few seconds the compressor turned on...so as i was about to unhook everything or go to the car to shut it down....freakin crap started spouting out from the top. I immediatley shut the car off. Then under the hood i could hear something fizzing...sounded like it was coming from the same area. So i took a screwdriver and poked the low pressure line where i hooked the can up too so i could let some out. And i started the car back up and put the a/c on and presto everything was fine. Compressor turned on and everything and it wasn't spewing fluid. So i shut it down and came in...had lunch and went out to run my errands. I started the car and turned the defrost on to see if it was working and nothing happened....popped the hood and the compressor wasnt turning on. So i drove to the store and came home and popped the hood. Took the screw driver and poked the pin again and theres nothing left :( . So it looks like i got a really bad leak. Where do i go from here? I dont need the a/c as it cold out....but i really need my defrost working.

n00b on demand 12-27-2005 02:11 PM

heres a pic of where the crap started spewing out when i was recharging it

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...mand/32664.JPG

Earthworm 12-27-2005 02:24 PM

Simple solution: o-rings

n00b on demand 12-27-2005 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
Simple solution: o-rings

Sweetness david....can you be so kind as to point me in the direction of these on subaru-parts.com? :D ...You think I ruined anything by overfilling?

n00b on demand 12-27-2005 02:29 PM

Where else could it be leaking from other than o-rings?

Earthworm 12-27-2005 02:37 PM

I looked in the 1993 section on subaruparts.com but couldn't find the o-rings. Try a newer year and they will show up.

Reference Link

ensteele 12-27-2005 04:28 PM

I have had the O-rings leak on one of mine and I have seen a couple of other leak as well. Remember the age of these cars. O-rings are getting old and will start to leak. Hope you find that it is the problem. :)

Green1995SVX 12-27-2005 06:14 PM

You can pick up the o-rings at any local parts store. Just take your old one and match up the size. :)

Mike

n00b on demand 12-27-2005 08:46 PM

How many o-rings are there going to be for the entire system? I guess i should replace all of them while im at it. So anyone wanna tell me how to get to them? Just remove the bolt and lift the thing and it should be there right? How do I get the old one off? Thanks for the replies guys!!

ensteele 12-27-2005 09:59 PM

The main ones I can think of are the two (one on each) of the hoses that attach to the compressor. :)

n00b on demand 12-27-2005 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
The main ones I can think of are the two (one on each) of the hoses that attach to the compressor. :)

You mean the ones under the bolts in the pics?

pnyklr 12-27-2005 10:46 PM

I know of a radiator & a/c shop that did work on my T-bird near my cousins bodyshop in the Bronx I'll be in that area thursday and friday morning if you want them to give it a looky

n00b on demand 12-27-2005 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnyklr
I know of a radiator & a/c shop that did work on my T-bird near my cousins bodyshop in the Bronx I'll be in that area thursday and friday morning if you want them to give it a looky

Thanks chris but i will look to do this on my own...should be a cheap and easy fix :)

pnyklr 12-27-2005 10:52 PM

no problem... they charged me $60 to recharge my a/c last year I was happy

ensteele 12-28-2005 12:45 AM

Not under the bolts, but under the metal line that is bolted down. :)