The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Firearms (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64218)

socal1200r 03-15-2017 07:55 PM

Firearms

All politics aside, just wondering if there are other SVX fans who also own firearms? I have a conceal-carry permit here in VA, and my carry weapon is a Bersa .45 compact. Also carry a two-mag pouch on the other hip, spend time regularly at the range, retired military, so I'm good to go. Also have a Walther P-38, Bersa 9mm, S&W Governor, CETME .308 tactical rifle, Remington 700 in .308, Mossberg 590 SPX shotgun, and just got this beauty:

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/y...psr36azoyz.jpg

This is a UTAS XTR 12-gauge, semi-auto, magazine-fed shotgun. Comes with the collapsible stock. Added the breeching flash suppressor, tactical light (400 lumens), forward grip and rail, Magpul front and rear flip-down sights, and a red-dot reflex optic. Haven't taken it to the range yet, but I'm expecting it to be a fun, but brutal rifle to shoot (it takes 3" shells).

NikFu S. 03-18-2017 05:08 PM

Re: Firearms

I carry an H&K P30 9mil. It's too cold to go the range between October and April, so I basically just carry it so that I am aware of where it is at all times.

There has been something of a crime wave around here lately, too. I hate to use the "bad guys" defense for why I carry but one of my friends was ambushed in a park last year and killed, and a former associate committed murder in cold blood, so this is kind of my reality in this town.

My friend is bugging me to do a rifle build with him this spring but I'm not sure yet if I want to make this a hobby.

socal1200r 03-18-2017 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S. (Post 746003)
I carry an H&K P30 9mil. It's too cold to go the range between October and April, so I basically just carry it so that I am aware of where it is at all times.

There has been something of a crime wave around here lately, too. I hate to use the "bad guys" defense for why I carry but one of my friends was ambushed in a park last year and killed, and a former associate committed murder in cold blood, so this is kind of my reality in this town.

My friend is bugging me to do a rifle build with him this spring but I'm not sure yet if I want to make this a hobby.

Sounds like you definitely have a reason to carry, that's for sure. When I get into discussions with people that are more on the liberal side of the spectrum, I tell them that the police are not there to protect you, that's your personal responsibility, be it at home or out and about. To think otherwise is just inviting trouble.

Enough from the soapbox, 9mm is a good choice, with the right kind of ammo and hits on target. I also have a full-frame 9mm, keep it loaded with 15 round mag, with alternating ball and hollow-point rounds, and have three more mags for it loaded the same way. I keep all hollow-points in my .45 mags when I'm carrying, with one ball round in the chamber.

92 SVX 03-19-2017 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socal1200r (Post 746005)
Sounds like you definitely have a reason to carry, that's for sure. When I get into discussions with people that are more on the liberal side of the spectrum, I tell them that the police are not there to protect you, that's your personal responsibility, be it at home or out and about. To think otherwise is just inviting trouble.

Enough from the soapbox, 9mm is a good choice, with the right kind of ammo and hits on target. I also have a full-frame 9mm, keep it loaded with 15 round mag, with alternating ball and hollow-point rounds, and have three more mags for it loaded the same way. I keep all hollow-points in my .45 mags when I'm carrying, with one ball round in the chamber.

as the saying goes (and I whole heartedly agree) when seconds count the police are just minutes away.:eek:

svxcess 03-19-2017 03:18 PM

Keeping it simple. Home defense only.

Beretta 92FS
LaserMax green laser, guide rod mount (replacing factory guide rod/spring assembly)

Save ammo for a different thread. Have some G2 Research RIP 92 gr. hollow-points. Commenting on this ammo, a federal law enforcement friend of mine said, for self-defense, there is a definite legal distinction between stopping and attacker and blatantly intending to kill him ahead of time. But in a home invasion, as long as he is within the confines of your house and a lethal threat, you are probably fine.

WYOSVX 03-23-2017 08:23 AM

Everyone in Wyoming owns firearms. Most for hunting but it's not a safe place for criminals.
Your new toy looks to be way too much fun and now I'm shopping again. :)

svxash 03-23-2017 09:47 AM

Colt 1911 and a GSG 1911-22 which I purchased to teach my daughter how to shoot.

sicksubie 03-24-2017 11:00 AM

HK VP9 or 226 Legion... When in dress clothes and needing something with a smaller frame I carry a Walther PPS.

socal1200r 03-24-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie (Post 746114)
HK VP9 or 226 Legion... When in dress clothes and needing something with a smaller frame I carry a Walther PPS.

My first firearm that I got in VA was a Bersa .380 Thunder, what a great pistol, VERY similar to a Walther PPS (i.e. the James Bond pistol)! Reminded me of features of the Beretta 92F that I had to qualify with in the military (3-dot sights, safety, decocking function, etc). With the pinkie extension on the mags, they fit my hand perfectly, and being a .380, was very easy to carry concealed. Easy to break down for cleaning, shot fairly well, didn't care for ANY kind of Russian-made ammo though (would have numerous FTEs/FTFs per box).

ensteele 04-16-2017 12:29 AM

I carry a LC9 and have lots of other hand guns. I have a S&W Governor as well. I have more .40 than any other calibers.

Huskymaniac 04-17-2017 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 746018)
Keeping it simple. Home defense only.

Beretta 92FS
LaserMax green laser, guide rod mount (replacing factory guide rod/spring assembly)

Save ammo for a different thread. Have some G2 Research RIP 92 gr. hollow-points. Commenting on this ammo, a federal law enforcement friend of mine said, for self-defense, there is a definite legal distinction between stopping and attacker and blatantly intending to kill him ahead of time. But in a home invasion, as long as he is within the confines of your house and a lethal threat, you are probably fine.

Fun fact, my advisor in grad school owns LaserMax.