The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hypothetical situation (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9751)

NomadTW 04-03-2003 07:54 AM

Hypothetical situation

k, let's just SAY that someone in a stock 95 L awd svx were to race a modded 2nd gen turbo eclipse.... from a roll at 30mph,
what would have to be done to the eclipse to make the following situation happen
say that the svx pulled on the eclipse until around 80mph, and that the svx had a car length on the eclipse at that point when the svx shifted and the eclipse didn't... and then the eclipse pulled on the svx.... and then lets say that at 100 the eclipse overtook the svx, and it's nose passed the svx's nose.... and at 110 the svx started gaining ground but decided to brake...

hypothetically speaking

solarsvx 04-03-2003 12:30 PM

stock to stock svx and dsm would be a close mach. if its a FWD model he wil most likely pull from u if its a AWD turbo should be pretty close after 100 mph the svx should have some pull on the dsm..stock svx to stock dsm

now if the dsm was to get a intake// exhaust and boost controler games over.

hope this helps some what .

to be honest also i feel 100 % more safer doing hi speeds in the svx then a dsm any day

NomadTW 04-03-2003 12:55 PM

he had at least intake and exhaust....sounded like a louder bov than usual too...

solarsvx 04-03-2003 01:00 PM

count yourself lucky then =>

my gst ran 14.9-15.0 completly show room stock

intake exhaust,, boost controler set at 16 psi max on the stock t-25 turbo i run 14.5s all day long and some race gas and street drags 14.3 on stock turbo with just intake exhaust and boost controler

he may have had a cheap fart can on there, but done right a 3" turbo back exhaust makes incredible difrence.

NomadTW 04-03-2003 01:15 PM

all it does is make me want to make my car faster

svxistentialist 04-03-2003 03:35 PM

Cheap solution

Quote:

Originally posted by NomadTW
The SVX is a pretty heavy car with very high final drive gearing.

The cheapest way to gain performance has got to be lower the final drive. In an AWD, this will mean changes to the front and rear diffs.

We mentioned this in another thread, and apparently a Legacy set at 4.11 would not cost the earth, possibly available from a wreck.

Another trick along the same lines would be use a wheel/tyre combination that will give a lower rolling radius. Does the same thing, more acceleration, less top speed. You will not want to go too much along this road with the wheels, or they will look too small in the arches. Still, a half inch lower will make a good performance difference.

Other than that, wait till we tease out the Supercharger thread, now that we have high powered technical advice for free!!

Joe:)

Seraph 04-03-2003 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NomadTW

NAWZ?
How about sticking a rocket on top?

NomadTW 04-04-2003 12:58 PM

don't feel like going the nawz route, i want something that i can legaly have on the road, and i don't have to refill every few times i use it

using the nawz might work later on, after a s/c (come on dnt)
but i'm gonna get manual, that've made be faster than him (once i get the feeling of it) intake, exhaust all would've helped, for that matter closing my window would've probably made me faster... i'm sure that having the window down at 100+ doesn't help the drag...

Chicane 04-04-2003 02:19 PM

You don't know how to drive stick?

NomadTW 04-04-2003 02:37 PM

:o well kinda
i KNOW how, but i've never done it
i know the mechanical principals of it, and i know the process, and how it all works and everything, but i've never actually done it...
it's sad, but by the time i was driving age my parents had moved beyond the manual transmission, and for some reason decided not to get me a manual to learn on, thinking it would be better for learning or whatever, and this is the first car i've had since my first car... this car, i'm actually paying for....

SVXdriver_007 04-05-2003 03:05 AM

So then Hypotehicaly speaking you know how to drive sitck:D

Its definatley possible to mod your car to be slower. I have a friend who has dropped over 6k into his jetta and in a hypotheical race with a guy I'll call SVXDrifer-007 got owned by a bone stock Subaru Legacy, and on a later date a civic dx with nothing but a cheap intake and exhaust. I (I mean the other guy)joke with him alot about how he could have bought some lead and thrown it in his trunk and saved alot of money for the same thing :D

Things look good for possible mods I've chatted wit COBB tuning and they seem to feel an extra 100hp wouldn't be a problem.

Personaly I'm not looking for a quarter mile car just more full time HP on tap. Cant be loosing all those hypothetical races and I've got a buddy with a modded A-4 who is asking for it.

LarryIII 04-05-2003 06:19 AM

I can make any car instanly go slower. By sitting behind the steering wheel I can add alot of extra weight.

svx_commuter 04-05-2003 07:04 AM

I tend to have the opposite effect. :D

Phast SVX 04-05-2003 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by solarsvx
count yourself lucky then =>

my gst ran 14.9-15.0 completly show room stock

intake exhaust,, boost controler set at 16 psi max on the stock t-25 turbo i run 14.5s all day long and some race gas and street drags 14.3 on stock turbo with just intake exhaust and boost controler

he may have had a cheap fart can on there, but done right a 3" turbo back exhaust makes incredible difrence.

i ripped off a 15.2 with my GST bone stock(2nd gen) full bolt ons and with nitto 555r's i pulled a 14.6. Homeboy musta had a problem with his car if it was FWD, awd is sitll quick
phil

wawazat?? 04-05-2003 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXdriver_007
So then Hypotehicaly speaking you know how to drive sitck:D

hahahahaha.

Good one _007!

Todd