The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Headlamp BULBS??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8705)

James Scott 02-09-2003 06:14 PM

Headlamp BULBS???

What's the best replacement bulb for our headlights?

I've seen about 5 different types: standard, blue, high intensity, silver, superbright, etc.:confused:

THANKS!

lee 02-09-2003 06:19 PM

best is a bit relative isn't it? I have heard that the Sylvania Silverstar is the brightest legal bulb sold in the US. In the UK I think there's a Phillip's bulb sold that's rated higher. Most of the Blue/white bulbs actually produce less usable light (those frequencies your eye responds to in night driving situations).

nubs 02-09-2003 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lee
best is a bit relative isn't it? I have heard that the Sylvania Silverstar is the brightest legal bulb sold in the US. In the UK I think there's a Phillip's bulb sold that's rated higher. Most of the Blue/white bulbs actually produce less usable light (those frequencies your eye responds to in night driving situations).
I just put a set of the Silverstars in my Legacy. I highly recommend them. I bought them at AutoZone. They were only $15.00 each after a $5.00 rebate.

Aredubjay 02-10-2003 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by nubs

I just put a set of the Silverstars in my Legacy. I highly recommend them. I bought them at AutoZone. They were only $15.00 each after a $5.00 rebate.

I've used the Sylvania "cool blues" in my car for some time. I'll have to say that I wasn't impressed. Although, I can certainly tell a difference in driving the "Evil Twin" with stock bulbs, and driving "Patience" with the "cool blues." The "blues" do illulminate better. I will, however, upon nub's recommendation check out the Silverstars. I trust his judgement implicitly.

kuoh 02-10-2003 10:08 AM

My friend recently upgraded the stock lights on his 2003 Ford Escape to Silverstars and said it was a waste of money. It did not look whiter or brighter than his stock bulbs. I've got the Cool Blues in mine and there was a noticeable difference between my 10 year old stocks and them, but it was most likely due to the age difference of the bulbs. If I were to upgrade the headlights again, I'd go with APC Plasma Superwhites 80W/100W and upgrade the headlight wiring harnesses. I helped the same guy install these on this Corvette and they are noticeably brighter and whiter.

KuoH

wasions 02-10-2003 11:10 AM

I've been running Silverstars (low/high) for about a year now. I've already had to replace one (I think I may have moisture in my headlights ;) ) but the light is fantastic. (It's too easy Randy - spare us - :D )

Aredubjay 02-10-2003 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wasions
I've been running Silverstars (low/high) for about a year now. I've already had to replace one (I think I may have moisture in my headlights ;) ) but the light is fantastic. (It's too easy Randy - spare us - :D )
<drumming fingers on table. Waiting for someone else to do it.>:D

wasions 02-10-2003 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

<drumming fingers on table. Waiting for someone else to do it.>:D

This must be agony for you. :D

Aredubjay 02-10-2003 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wasions

This must be agony for you. :D

A real trip. :p

Paisan 02-10-2003 12:00 PM

I've also heard great things about the silverstars. If I didn't have HIDs in the low-beams I'd put the silver stars in there.

-mike

SVX10 02-10-2003 01:08 PM

I replaced my cool blues with silverstars. The silverstars look whiter than the cool blues, which look whiter than stock. Both the cool blues and silverstars are rated at 1000 lumens (which, if I'm not mistaken, is the important factor in visibility). I didn't really notice an improvement in visibility with the silverstars, but I do like the color better.

Tim 02-10-2003 01:45 PM

Do the silverstars install without the need for an upgraded wiring harness?

I've noticed my stock lights are really yellow during the day, so I guess I'll check out the silverstars.

ensteele 02-10-2003 02:35 PM

OK Randy - here ya go! I installed the silver stares (low beam) to see how they were. I was very impressed. Any others that I tried (cool blue etc)seemed to be a waste of time and money. The silver stars worked so good, that I bought another set for the high beams and I will try them out in the next day or so. I will let you know what I think of them. ;) :)

Aredubjay 02-10-2003 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele93
OK Randy - here ya go! I installed the silver stares (low beam) to see how they were. I was very impressed. Any others that I tried (cool blue etc)seemed to be a waste of time and money. The silver stars worked so good, that I bought another set for the high beams and I will try them out in the next day or so. I will let you know what I think of them. ;) :)

Great, Earl. Thank you. Let's just hope this experiment doesn't go the way of your "super bright back-up bulbs" at Lafayette. :rolleyes: :D :D :D

(Teach you to give me crap about my O-ring install. :D:D:D)

nubs 02-10-2003 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

I will, however, upon nub's recommendation check out the Silverstars. I trust his judgement implicitly.

Why thanks Randy.That really means alot to me.:D
I have Wagner Lazer blues in my SVX,I have not driven it at night since I installed the Silverstars, but they seem to be much brighter and better color than the Wagners. And much better than the ten year old stock bulbs.