The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Seeking help from those who might have insights ... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62052)

Obewon 08-24-2013 08:49 AM

Seeking help from those who might have insights ...

I am having a fair bit of work done on my '92 SVX by a mecahnic who has worked on the car on and off for the past 10 years. he knows the car well and is a smart guy. He's come across a stubborn problem (described below).

Might anyone have some insights to offer ?

I have replaced the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and idlers on a 1992 Subaru SVX. It is a Canadian car.

Two cam plugs on the front of the engine for the upper cams have also been replaced. In addition, a new ignition cylinder, housing and switch with accompanying OEM harness has been installed.

After completing this work the car performed very well. However, after a few more engine starts/ offs the engine would sometimes ( intermittently not start). The engine would crank over but not start.

Thinking it could be the new ignition system I reinstalled the worn ignition system. Unfortunately, the engine would not start this way as well.

The new ignition system looks identical to the original worn system. Upon cranking the engine there is no fuel injector pulse and no check engine icon display with the ignition in the " on " position. The grounds at visible junctions have been cleaned. Cam sensors at the front of the engine show acceptable 2.4 - 2.5 ohms per side. On occasion I hear relays clicking on and off despite no ignition being placed in the "on" position.

Any insights would be appreciated.

92snowmachine 08-24-2013 09:35 AM

Re: Seeking help from those who might have insights ...

sounds like a wiring problem to me. if you get no ce light then the pcm is likely not getting power or ground on a particular circuit. i would pull it down and pin out the power and grounds when the problem is happening. if all powers and grounds are good check for 5v reference voltage at the tps. if no reference voltage check for 5v at the computer. if no 5v at the computer pcm is most likely bad. pcm failure is rare in any car so i would bet on loss of power or ground to the pcm.

Obewon 08-25-2013 08:15 AM

Thank you.

kingbobdole 08-26-2013 12:31 AM

Check your fuses and links as well. My ol Xt-6 had about the same issues once, intermittent no start with no cel when the ignition was on. Ended up being the fusable link had blown, but not taken out the covering. The wrap would hold it together 90% of the time, but every so often it wouldn't go.