The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Fluid leak (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55369)

Huskymaniac 08-29-2010 02:57 PM

Fluid leak

It looks like I have a moderate leak near the front of the car. Best I can tell, it is dripping from the plastic cover. It has been sitting for over a week and there was a nice spot on the driveway. I think this is new or has gotten worse since I got the car. Any suggestions on how to pin down the source of the leak?

Wikedjuggalo 08-29-2010 03:02 PM

Re: Fluid leak

Cam seals?

Manarius 08-29-2010 03:02 PM

It would be helpful to know what kind of fluid it is. If it's brown, it could be engine oil. Red it could be either from the transmission or from the power steering. If it's green water, it's from the cooling system. If it's just water, it might be from the A/C.

Crazy_pilot 08-29-2010 03:11 PM

Is it from the left, right, or middle of the cover? If it's the sides then it's most likely a cam seal. If it's the middle then probably the front main or oil pump seals. However, make sure it's no a leaky power steering reservoir dripping down onto things below.

Huskymaniac 08-29-2010 03:53 PM

It is hard to tell but it looks like a relatively clear or lightly colored oil. But the engine oil is looking pretty clean right now. But it doesn't seem as thick as engine oil. I will try to get a better picture of the oil and where it is dripping from. But the cover goes the entire distance of the front of the car so I'm not sure how the location matters.

The previous owner had the cam seals and oil pump changed when he changed the timing belt about 10K miles ago.

Does the tranny fluid level need to be checked with the engine running? I have read that the fluid should be checked when warm and the gear selector should be cycled through all the locations.

ZMan 08-29-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 656467)
It looks like I have a moderate leak near the front of the car. Best I can tell, it is dripping from the plastic cover. It has been sitting for over a week and there was a nice spot on the driveway. I think this is new or has gotten worse since I got the car. Any suggestions on how to pin down the source of the leak?

You could start by removing the cover!

kwren 08-29-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 656472)
But the cover goes the entire distance of the front of the car so I'm not sure how the location matters.

Sorry, can't place a "cover that goes the entire distance of the front of the car"

Got a pick??

Keith:cool:

Crazy_pilot 08-29-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 656472)
But the cover goes the entire distance of the front of the car so I'm not sure how the location matters.

Do you mean the skidplate/plastic tray piece? You won't be able to tell where anything is coming from with that on.

Manarius 08-29-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 656497)
Do you mean the skidplate/plastic tray piece? You won't be able to tell where anything is coming from with that on.

Follow the dirt trail and you'll see a lot (a lot easier on the lift though).

Huskymaniac 08-29-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 656497)

Yes, I think that is it. Does that thing have a critical purpose? Should I just take it off and leave it off? Maybe there is a reason for it to stay on like maybe it keeps salty water off critical parts in the winter.

kwren 08-29-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 656505)
Yes, I think that is it. Does that thing have a critical purpose? Should I just take it off and leave it off? Maybe there is a reason for it to stay on like maybe it keeps salty water off critical parts in the winter.

I would just keep it on the car... There are several reasons why it is on it!

ZMan 08-29-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 656506)

OR - you can take it off, do what you need to do , then put it back on.

It's not that many bolts holding it up, why is everyone making such a big deal out of taking a simple cover off???

Sean486 08-29-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

I suppose I should put mine back on, I just realized it has been off for about 2 years. :rolleyes:

Huskymaniac 08-29-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZMan (Post 656507)
OR - you can take it off, do what you need to do , then put it back on.

It's not that many bolts holding it up, why is everyone making such a big deal out of taking a simple cover off???

Taking it off is not a big deal. The question is, does it need to go back on and, if so, why. No big deal, I'm just curious.

ZMan 08-29-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

One good reason to keep it off - at least in the summer: the transmission runs cooler!