The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Questions about the tranny fluid filter (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34659)

SVXyGirl 08-08-2006 09:19 PM

Questions about the tranny fluid filter

My brother and I came across it while doing some work on my SVX. I remember reading some where that there was a recall on the 92's? I want to replace this filter (if I can) because I don't think it has been replaced for awhile. I looked online for a filter, but I'm not finding one that looks like the one I have on my car.

Could someone exaplin the recall and let me know about changing the filter.

Thanks!

gtdanielgt 08-08-2006 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXyGirl
My brother and I came across it while doing some work on my SVX. I remember reading some where that there was a recall on the 92's? I want to replace this filter (if I can) because I don't think it has been replaced for awhile. I looked online for a filter, but I'm not finding one that looks like the one I have on my car.

Could someone exaplin the recall and let me know about changing the filter.

Thanks!

Hmmm mine is a '92 and I picked up a good fram tranny filter from checker's for like 20 bucks if memory serves me... Are the ones from the autoparts store not fitting?

ensteele 08-08-2006 10:30 PM

The filter that they installed also fits other Subaru models. Go to the dealership and tell them what you want and I am sure they will sell you what you need. They should be $12 to $15. Others have put on a PermaCool canister type filter that works good too. They are about $40 for the kit, but the filter is only $4 or $5 to replace. It looks like an oil filter. Look in the How-To Docs under transmissions. Good luck. :)

dcarrb 08-09-2006 06:49 AM

I'm pretty sure this is the SOA part number for a replacement filter canister that will fit the SVX: 31099AA091

dcb

SVXyGirl 08-09-2006 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
The filter that they installed also fits other Subaru models. Go to the dealership and tell them what you want and I am sure they will sell you what you need. They should be $12 to $15. Others have put on a PermaCool canister type filter that works good too. They are about $40 for the kit, but the filter is only $4 or $5 to replace. It looks like an oil filter. Look in the How-To Docs under transmissions. Good luck. :)

Yeah it looks like a fuel filter that two hoses where attached. And I tried to order that part but I got a filter kit and NOT the filter that I need.

SomethingElse 08-09-2006 09:39 AM

I have an extra tranny filter laying around if you want it. its brand new i was going to put it on my car but did the 5 speed swap instead. can you take a pic of it to make sure its the right one? the one I have is out of that kit stated below.

SVX10 08-09-2006 12:12 PM

So the 92's have an internal filter or something? I'm about to replace an AT with one from a '92 and I wanted to do the filter and pan seal while I was at it. Can I get those parts at a local auto parts store?

Mat

SomethingElse 08-09-2006 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX10
So the 92's have an internal filter or something? I'm about to replace an AT with one from a '92 and I wanted to do the filter and pan seal while I was at it. Can I get those parts at a local auto parts store?

Mat

I think they all have internal filters. my 92 did. Napa had the filter and gasket it was the same as an outback I think so it was in stock. it was like 20 bux.

Noir 08-09-2006 01:46 PM

+1 external filter from Summit Racing.

ensteele 08-09-2006 07:07 PM

I don't know if you can buy just the filter. When you get them from the dealer, they come as a kit. :)

benebob 08-09-2006 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
I don't know if you can buy just the filter. When you get them from the dealer, they come as a kit. :)

Yes you can. In fact the filter kit is to be sold (or given if it is a recall item) for the vehicle once (if it didn't have it to begin with). If you had one like my 95 did and I replaced a few years back they aren't supposed to sell you a kit. You're supposed to buy the filter which is like $35 or something like that where as the kit is like $12-15.:confused: Make sense to you?:D

svxpert 08-10-2006 09:01 PM

filters

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...829#post420829

ensteele 08-10-2006 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob
Yes you can. In fact the filter kit is to be sold (or given if it is a recall item) for the vehicle once (if it didn't have it to begin with). If you had one like my 95 did and I replaced a few years back they aren't supposed to sell you a kit. You're supposed to buy the filter which is like $35 or something like that where as the kit is like $12-15.:confused: Make sense to you?:D

When I talked to Subaruparts.com, they said that they didn't have any of the filters except for the kits. They sold those to me instead. :confused: :)

Noir 08-10-2006 11:34 PM

you know, i just remember someone telling me that the tranny filter was a lifetime filter.....

benebob 08-11-2006 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir
you know, i just remember someone telling me that the tranny filter was a lifetime filter.....

That's what subaru says. Earl of course they'll sell you something in stock over ordering it!