The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rear bearing replacement (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32888)

hophead 04-25-2006 08:06 PM

Rear bearing replacement

Does any one know the answer to these two questions. I have searched this site and no luck.
1. Torque spec of the rear bearing nut.
2. Do I NEED to replace the axle nut as stated on this site. It says "the axle nuts are not reusable."

I have ordered new bearings from the "subaru parts girl" at Annapolis Subaru. She gave me the best price I could find. Thanks Jackie! See you at the Annapolis Subaru SVX meet May 6th.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Fred
:rolleyes:

svxfiles 04-25-2006 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hophead
Does any one know the answer to these two questions. I have searched this site and no luck.
1. Torque spec of the rear bearing nut.
2. Do I NEED to replace the axle nut as stated on this site. It says "the axle nuts are not reusable."

I have ordered new bearings from the "subaru parts girl" at Annapolis Subaru. She gave me the best price I could find. Thanks Jackie! See you at the Annapolis Subaru SVX meet May 6th.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Fred
:rolleyes:

150 foot/pounds is safe, and yes, get a new crush nut.
The book actually says 149 foot/pounds, but lets be real.

hophead 04-25-2006 08:28 PM

Rear bearing replacement

Wow, thanks for the quick answer. I met you last weekend at Reading. Short guy with balding spot and 92 Claret. Had a great time meeting all there. Hope the new bearings make the SVX quiet again.

Fred

svxfiles 04-25-2006 08:39 PM

Quote:

Wow, thanks for the quick answer. I met you last weekend at Reading. Powerfully built guy with bad attitude,and supercharged, fast 92 Claret. Had a great time meeting all there. Hope the new bearings make the SVX quiet again.

Fred

Fixed your post fred.:mad:

:p

svxfiles 04-25-2006 08:50 PM

Quote:

I met you last weekend at Reading. Short guy with balding spot and 92 Claret. Fred

Short guy?
Balding spot?:confused:

So, fred,,, what is your HOME address?:D

sorceror 04-26-2006 12:41 AM

After reading all of the posts here as well as all of the problems associated with rear wheel bearing replacement I had both rear bearings replaced yesterday at wheel works for $475.00. The best thing is they guarantee their work for 6 months.

I sat there and made sure they cleaned off all the shipping grease, repacked and put in new seals. Then I helped them with whatever bolt that is that just won't come undone without 3 guys - I hade them use a 4 foot bar attached to the breaker bar :cool:

Took my car out for a quick 140 mile test drive and not a sound.

You will need a press ($150.00?) and a press can mess your bearing up if you don't know what you are doing or a tamer ($350.00?) not to mention all the time and trouble.

I think I spent my $475.00 well.

Dropped it off at 8:00 in the morning and they began work on it right then. They had it done by 4:30 PM - You do the math.

svxfiles 04-26-2006 06:49 AM

Last night I pulled the rear hub off of the Claret, with a lift and air tools, about an hour.
Today I dropped off the hub to get the bearing pressed, $35.00 local labor.
Subaru charged me
$8.56 for oil seal #28015aa080
$7.06 for oil seal #28015aa070
$3.50 for nut axle #28044aa000
$64.28 for roller bearing #28016pa010
When I get the hub back it will take about 45 minutes to put it back together.
Of course then I'll probably have to do the drivers side.:rolleyes:

Ahh, the joys of SVX.

hophead 04-27-2006 07:34 PM

Thanks for the corrected post!

I guess I didn't have my rose colored glasses on when I posted. But thanks for the build up. :D