The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Of course, "Transmission" (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30940)

Silver44 01-17-2006 09:17 PM

Of course, "Transmission"

Obviously our SVX's are known for the tranny problems....I have one that has already been rebuilt, and it needs another rebuilding...I either want to purchase a new/newer one or convert to a five speed through small car....If I purchase a new/newer one, what options do I have to help prevent having the same problems??

mbtoloczko 01-17-2006 09:51 PM

Transmission cooler, ATF filter, and Small Car shift kit.

TomsSVX 01-17-2006 10:03 PM

I would highly suggest not using small car for the 5 speed kit

Tom

ensteele 01-17-2006 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver44
...I either want to purchase a new/newer one or convert to a five speed through small car....

I would agree with Tom on this one.

DO NOT HAVE SMALLCAR DO IT !!!!!!!!

Take it from me - from experience !!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

thundering02 01-17-2006 11:35 PM

Not having small car do it for you has been widely renown in this group but what makes the kit so bad? (other than a spacer instead of the drive shaft being lenghtend)

Earthworm 01-18-2006 12:29 PM

Don't get Earl started. :rolleyes:

Earl's had issues with his 5MT and Smallcar doesn't warranty their work.

He doesn't have any issues with any other products from them though (that I'm aware of).

thundering02 01-18-2006 12:39 PM

I realize that they do not warranty their work but is the product itself bad? Say i want to install it myself....

TomsSVX 01-18-2006 01:54 PM

If you want to bite the bullet and buy their kit I guess not. The only thing I would ever use out of their kit is the pedal assembly and shift linkage. The rest is simple enough. I would also suggest designing and fabbing up a craddle type crossmember like myself and Subafreak use. These tend to be the strongest and they also do not obstruct the path of the stcok exhaust pipes.

Tom

mbtoloczko 01-18-2006 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thundering02
I realize that they do not warranty their work but is the product itself bad? Say i want to install it myself....

Some parts of the kit are useful, but the majority of it is not much better than duct tape and bailing wire.

TomsSVX 01-18-2006 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
Some parts of the kit are useful, but the majority of it is not much better than duct tape and bailing wire.

Good comparison, I can see it now.:D :D :D

Tom

Silver44 01-18-2006 07:53 PM

What other suggestions?

Obviously not getting a good response with using small car..are there any other kits out there? I'm looking for options...I want to get the car fixed...I enjoyed that car for the 2 years I was able to drive it...I was probably a little hard on the car, but I it's an awesome car...I've had the car for 3 years now, and I'm just now learning about all the fun things I can do with it...Please give me some good info on how I can get this on the road, and be sure it stays on the road for a while..Thank you! :confused:

TomsSVX 01-18-2006 07:58 PM

Send it to me, write a check, and drive it back one awsome machine! Or just find a shop willing to do the work;)

Tom

TomsSVX 01-18-2006 07:59 PM

You could also do a 4.44 auto swap. Thay are fairly easy and not too expensive either. It will improve the car's performance in acceleration

Tom

Boxer6SVX 01-19-2006 09:26 AM

I should just drive to philly with some cash and get Tom to do my Solenoid C and transfer clutch :D