The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mystic paint on a SVX? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16276)

tracedog67 02-08-2004 08:20 PM

Mystic paint on a SVX?

I am going to get the '92 SVX (teal green) painted this coming summer and I wild thought crossed my mind. Have you ever seen a mid 90s Mustang Cobra with the mystic paint that changes color as it passes by you? How do you think this would look on a SVX? Being that mine is currenlty teal green I may even be able to get by without painting the door jambs etc.

tdog

MNYPNNY 02-08-2004 08:22 PM

Personally, I think that paint is kinda cool. But my husband calls it "oil-spill".

~~Michelle

Chicane 02-08-2004 08:59 PM

I think it looks tacky and ghetto. In fact, the only thing that would really look RIGHT with that color would be those completely tasteless Arelli Assassyns. I think I would projectile vomit if I saw that combo. But hey, that's just my opinion.

- Rob

immortal_suby 02-08-2004 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chicane
I think it looks tacky and ghetto. In fact, the only thing that would really look RIGHT with that color would be those completely tasteless Arelli Assassyns. I think I would projectile vomit if I saw that combo. But hey, that's just my opinion.

- Rob

I have to agree with Rob.

did I just do that? :eek: :confused:

petesvx2 02-08-2004 10:39 PM

Master P has an Impala painted that color. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I think I remember it being an Impala.):D

Alycone 02-09-2004 12:43 AM

I like it. It's a bit too flashy for my own car, and I think it would look kinda dumb on a sedan, but I think it suites the SVX's unusualness. :)

NikFu S. 02-09-2004 12:48 AM

im getting a mental of that 'chameleon' paint. is that what youre talking about?

Soobarooo 02-09-2004 01:06 AM

I think they made the Probe in Mystic as well...
U G L Y

NikFu S. 02-09-2004 01:31 AM

they aint got no AL I BY

GreenMarine 02-09-2004 05:41 AM

If you are talking about the camelion paint (the stuff that TVR's are painted) then that stuffis EXTERMLY expensive... The paint that is used on the TVR Tuscan speed 6 costs over $2,500 a quart... But if you can afford it, go for it!!!!

Darksied-X 02-09-2004 10:34 AM

I've never seen the Mustangs or Probes your refering to, but I think I know what your talking about. DuPont makes paint like this, they call it Chromalusion, and you can have it in pretty much any shade combination you want. From what I understand about it, it's not so much a paint specifically, as much as it is a layering technique. The paint is layered so that specific colors appear under certain angles of light. And like Chris said, it's not cheap.

I've seen a couple of different uses for it that really stand out, too. One is to paint the car a normal color, then use the Chromalusion for flames or stripes. Gives the car a kind of "Ghost Flames" look. The other thing I've seen is using different shades of the same color. Dodge did the '99 Charger concept like this in Orange. The only way to descripe it is to say it looked like a radioactive General Lee.

Basically, I think it all comes down to what you want, and how it's executed as to whether it will look good.

svxjoe 02-09-2004 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chicane

- Rob

This was my thoughts exactly too. Go with Candy Coat with a base color of gold or something... that way your SVX won't look like a "gangsta ride". The gold base coat will just make the outter candy coat sparkle and shine more in the sun. It looks good, trust me.

m.messenger 02-09-2004 10:43 AM

Just don't think about the moment when you have to respray a dinged wing - put it in a glass box or leave well alone. Anyway, there may be a moment when the light catches at just the right angle and the whole car will disappear. Might be a good thing?

WestCoastSVX 02-09-2004 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Darksied-X
The only way to descripe it is to say it looked like a radioactive General Lee.

Just wanted to say that I LMAO when I read that! Thanks! :D

Darksied-X 02-09-2004 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MacGyver
Just wanted to say that I LMAO when I read that! Thanks!:D
What, don't believe me?;)

http://www.acarshow.com/chgcpt.html

Okay, so maybe those aren't the best pics to prove my point, but they're the best I could find. I saw it on C&DTV or something when it debuted, and it looked incredible under the lights. It has something 30 different layers of paint, each a different shade of orange.