The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Multiple Warning Lamps (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36737)

Devilman 12-30-2006 09:28 AM

Multiple Warning Lamps

well after solving why my cooling fans were not coming on (not the ac/10a fuse blowing thing//thats still happening but i believe its the compressor/clutch)...anyways...now...after I had a brand new BOSH plat battery installled...about a week or so later, the ABS/BATT and a few others are coming on and staying on (the same ones listed in in other threads relating to bad alternator etc) last night, when the problem presented itself...the lights only came on when i pressed the accelerator...this morning...the stay on..and when depressing the brake and releasing, i feel a slight pop in the center console (right around or behind the E-brake) In addition, last night...when I would (trying to remember correctly here) turn the lights on..the warning lights would go away ( but were still present on accel) and when turned off they would re-appear. but this morning...nothing would make them go away. The battery I had installed (recommended in a listing at pepboys) has 640 cold cranking and 800 cranking amps...too much for this car? (jsut trying to rule things out before I go the route of going up to get the alt tested...I just dont want the car to get stranded at an autoparts store while it takes a week for them to order the alt. The ONLY thing that was done to the car either in that day or the day preceding that..I adjusted the beam on the headlamps...and i shot some compressed air into the CD player(it had been sitting for the better part of a year, wasnt functioning correctly...figured it was particles or a mechanism that needed a jostle).

but I am leaning towards the bad alternator at this point. Any way of testing this before I roll the dice and take it up to a local mech/autozone/etc?

any input is extremely appreciated

-Matt-

laserx 12-30-2006 10:10 AM

Went through exactly the same thing, it is your alternator.

ensteele 12-30-2006 10:31 AM

"The battery I had installed (recommended in a listing at pepboys) has 640 cold cranking and 800 cranking amps...too much for this car?"

The cranking power would not be too much - it just has more reserve power to crank the engine if it doesn't start easily. :)

Manarius 12-30-2006 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laserx
Went through exactly the same thing, it is your alternator.

I second this thought. Multiple warning lights usually means charging system problems.

Devilman 12-30-2006 12:30 PM

cool...my initial post was a pre-emptive strike...I did take the car to advanced auto parts..alternator is bad...flat out...they didnt have one in stock...but the outstanding rep there called a few other competitor stores (the previous visit there last nioght i got basic info and a week delivery time) this gentelman said 3 days and regardless found one here in town and they held it for me and i got it...heading outside to install it now.

many thanks for the responses, regardless!!

thanks again!!

-Matt-

ps will post the results

Devilman 12-30-2006 06:07 PM

got the new alternator in and it works like a champ...lights have gone bye bye..

returned to advanced auto to make sure the volts/amps were in the green...all good to go...

thanks for the input guys!

-Matt-