The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Move over (so called) SVX Mechanical Experts! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39159)

JaySVX 05-30-2007 07:13 PM

Move over (so called) SVX Mechanical Experts!

That's right, there's is a new mechanical master on the forums. To display my masterful mechanical skills, I recharged my AC today by my self!!! I challenge any of you to match such sheer ingenuity in auto mechanics. Anyone who doubts this astonishing feat I can prove it! Just come by, those of you with doubts, and I will gladly give you a ride with the cold AC blowing in your face!!!

Generally I can do most mechanical procedures, weather I've done them or not, but I'm completely paranoid unless there's someone around, weather they know what they're doing or not. I second guess myself all the time when working alone, to the point that I can't accomplish anything. Anyways, I didn't charge the AC entirely on my own, called OT, because I've never touched AC before, except for removing it from my old racer, and it said to charge only with the engine running and the AC compressor on, but mine wouldn't kick in with it being completely empty, so I thought i might have to jumper it or something...

ensteele 05-30-2007 10:08 PM

Now for the big question before your ego deflates! Will it stay charged, or will it leak out? That is the question. :o :rolleyes: :)

svxfiles 05-31-2007 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaySVX

Anyways, I didn't charge the AC entirely on my own, called OT, because I've never touched AC before, except for removing it from my old racer, and HEsaid to charge only with the engine running and the AC compressor on,

:rolleyes:
I hope it stays charged.:cool:

cool, get it?:p

JaySVX 05-31-2007 03:15 AM

If it leaks, i have no idea how to find the leak, but it has been suggested to me that i should replace the o-rings first, apparently they become rotted and such, and are pretty inexpensive to fix.

davew833 05-31-2007 11:47 AM

If you open the system to change the o-rings, you have to evacuate it with a vacuum pump to eliminate moisture or you'll have big problems. Some people recommend replacing the filter/drier whenever the system's opened, too, but I only do that if the compressor's exploded.

TomsSVX 06-01-2007 12:50 PM

If it leaks, you will know as within a week most of the freon would have left the system... The dryer replacement is a good idea. Either way, a leak is probobly going to come from the o-rings or a hole in the condensor

Tom

ensteele 06-01-2007 03:31 PM

Yes, the O-Rings are inexpensive to fix. That may be why it leaked in the first place. :)

kwren 06-01-2007 10:41 PM

what "O" rings?

what "O" rings? in the compresor or where?
TX

Earthworm 06-12-2007 08:31 PM

Every connection in the A/C system has an o-ring to seal it. There's about 13 in total.

SSSVX 06-13-2007 12:00 AM

which one did you charge ? did you still have the 92 ? So, about 2 weeks later still ice cold ? Some leaks will take like few, few months to a year. If you have a big leak, maybe in one, two weeks. You could put in a can of "stop leak" oil(usually is 3oz) into the system to prevent any minor leak. A can of R134 freon is usually about 11~13oz.

Just help my friend to charge an SVX yesterday. Learn more every time. =)