The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wish me luck... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26410)

Uncamitzi 05-25-2005 09:41 AM

Wish me luck...

This morning started as a fine cool rainy day here in Northern VA... Then it turned to S#it... I was pulling into the coffee stop on the way to work and wam bam .... something major broke in the drive line... I pulled out of the way so that I wouldn't contribute to the massive traffic nightmare of the area ... and damn near cried... I think I've lost one of my front transaxles.. :eek: I called AAA to get the tow started and then... walked back to my apartment (I only made it about a 1/4 mile away). Got on the internet to find a shop... I settled on Beyer Subaru 7416 Richmond Hwy. Alexandria... anyone know anything about them... ?
I was kind of put off when one of the mechanics came in as they were unloading the SVX from the flatbed... and said..." What's that!? It's not a subaru!".... I said "Stop the tow truck... let's go somewhere else...!" Then the service manager said.." what he means is that we are a subaru/volvo dealer... and that volvo get towed in but we hardly ever see a subaru towed in..."

I said ... "nice save"... :rolleyes:

so... any good news for uncamitzi?

Dza 05-25-2005 10:18 AM

Ouch, that sucks. Glad you were able to get out of the traffic tho. May your mechanics work be strong and true. Good luck.

Oh, and I think I just "got" your user name.

drivemusicnow 05-25-2005 10:21 AM

ha... haha... ouch. I know of only a couple worse things to hear out of a "subaru" master mechanics mouth...

Good luck, and i'm sure everything will work out for you.

NeedForSpeed 05-25-2005 10:22 AM

Good luck!
Keep us posted.

red95svx 05-25-2005 11:06 AM

The good news is that genuine SVX axles are readily available...probably only one day away from your dealer. The bad news is that they have a retail price of $369.96. You may want to ask if you can either bring in your own aftermarket axle, or see if they can find you one as an alternative to a new one. Unfortunately Subaru does not rebuild SVX axles.

Dave

Earthworm 05-25-2005 11:41 AM

First check if it's in fact the axle and not the front diff or something else. (or let them diagnose it)

If something broke WHY did it break?

Good luck with this and I hope it's not too costly.

Uncamitzi 05-25-2005 01:39 PM

ouch...

:(

apparently my front dif detonnated... Tranny rebuild time...to the tune at this dealership of 5000.00.

too expensive for me right now... must think...

anyone got a used tranny around here? :( :( :mad: :mad: :(

Earthworm 05-25-2005 01:40 PM

Time for 4.11/4.44/5MT?

SVXRide 05-25-2005 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncamitzi

apparently my front dif detonnated... Tranny rebuild time...to the tune at this dealership of 5000.00.

Mitch,
Try PM'ing SVXFiles - while you'd have to have your car flatbedded up to Cumberland (around 3 hours from where you are), he'll do a great job at a very honest price... :cool:
-Bill

n00b on demand 05-25-2005 02:39 PM

Quote:

Holy crap 5000 dollars for a rebuild? Try car-part.com for used tranny's.

NeedForSpeed 05-25-2005 03:22 PM

You ARE lucky

Mitch,

That's exactly what I was going to suggest.

SVXfiles is the 4.44 king!! He's done more transmissions than some dealers! Send him a note. Now that you are no longer in the wild wild big-highway West, some 4.11 or 4.44 gears may suit you well. This could be a good thing!

PS I sent you an email to your old comcast server some time after you moved. Well, that didn't work.

Good luck?, hey, looks like good luck to me! Those guys will fix you up for a good price, plus mandatory beer and food of course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide
Mitch,
Try PM'ing SVXFiles - while you'd have to have your car flatbedded up to Cumberland (around 3 hours from where you are), he'll do a great job at a very honest price... :cool:
-Bill

NeedForSpeed 05-25-2005 03:42 PM

Mitch,

Bad luck would have been to break in Salt Lake, or worse, on the way to Virginia. The way I see it, you'll be happy to pay the reasonable cost for a SVXfile upgrade. Definately, your luck has changed for the better!

Alycone 05-26-2005 10:02 AM

Sorry to hear your front diff blew too. Noir might still have a tranny for sale.

mikecg 05-26-2005 10:11 AM

Quote:

(

Holy Crap!!!!! You might be able to by a Level 10 Tranny for less than that.

Before I started my 5-speed swap I got a couple prices on a rebuild. Interestingly one shop I stopped at quoten me aout a grand less than the dealership. After taking to the shop owner he told me that the dealership I had origionally gone to removes the tranny and sends them to him to rebuild anyway.

Alycone 05-26-2005 09:38 PM

5k? Ouch!

I decided to go with the whole new tranny instead of fixing or replacing the dif, since I thought my aamcr*p rebuild was probably held together with ducttape. I got my tranny swapped out for a Subaru rebuild for I think 3.2k and the shop I picked wasn't the cheapest option. I think I was quoted about 1.5 and 2.5k for fixing the dif options.