The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Transmission and Drivetrain (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   manual power mode (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19426)

poweredx2 06-21-2004 09:09 AM

manual power mode

Has anyone wired up a switch to have power mode ondemand,if so please share the details about which wires to tap into.

Chiketkd 06-21-2004 08:13 PM

From my understanding, power mode is triggered by the TPS moving to a WOT position. When power mode is not activated, the sensor reads +5 volts, and 0 volts when at WOT. It can be wired up with a switch somehow.

Read this for more info: Forced Power Mode and Shift Tricks

Terry McLane runs that FAQ page, and he may be able to give you some insight into which wires to tap into, to make your switch. You can e-mail him at: tmclane@voyager.net

-Chike

SVXer95 06-21-2004 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chiketkd
From my understanding, power mode is triggered by the TPS moving to a WOT position. When power mode is not activated, the sensor reads +5 volts, and 0 volts when at WOT. It can be wired up with a switch somehow.

Read this for more info: Forced Power Mode and Shift Tricks

Terry McLane runs that FAQ page, and he may be able to give you some insight into which wires to tap into, to make your switch. You can e-mail him at: tmclane@voyager.net

-Chike

I don't know all the details on how it works, but the tps does not have to be at WOT for power mode to engage. A qucik stab of the pedal will do it.

Chiketkd 06-21-2004 08:37 PM

You're correct - that's why I phrased it 'moving to a WOT position.' The sensor is just reading two voltages +5 or 0, and a switch to break the circuit should be relatively simple to fabricate...

-Chike
Quote:

Originally posted by SVXer95
I don't know all the details on how it works, but the tps does not have to be at WOT for power mode to engage. A qucik stab of the pedal will do it.

MisanthropyV 06-22-2004 04:08 AM

There is a way to do it, something to do with an 'S' word. Definately an 'S' word... damn. I'll look into it and get back to you.

Give me a hint people, you need to do 'something' to them to flick to 4wd mode??????Wire them or something????

...Gonna have to get back to you...

p.s. The power mode doesn't give you any more power. It just plays with the rate and force the Tranny shifts gears...

IggDawg 06-22-2004 08:06 AM

power mode isn't neccecarily engaged by a TPS reading of "full throttle". It's engaged when it reads a change in throttle of a significant value over a short time. basically, it goes into power mode when you stab the pedal real fast. I get it a lot when I tap the gas to rev a little during a manual downshift.

the reason the switch works is that a sudden change in voltage from 5 to 0 would signify an instantaneous change in throttle position from closed to open. this obviously satisfies the change in voltage per time period criterion. leaving the switch on would make it think you are still at WOT, and it'd keep it in power mode no matter what throttle position you are really at.

I hope that makes some sense?

red95svx 06-22-2004 08:11 AM

There has been talk of this before. One of the solenoids for the transmission can be wired with a switch to activate Power mode on demand.....although I don't see why you'd need it. My car goes into power mode easily, and you can always just shift the gears yourself and hold each one until redline.......

Dave

poweredx2 06-22-2004 08:36 AM

power mode

It'll be for dragracing only.I don't want have to leave at 3000rpms,my car leave better at about 1800rpms in powermode but I have to get it in powermode and stage.I have a fwd svx.That project will be underway this week.

red95svx 06-22-2004 12:04 PM

Re: power mode

Quote:

Originally posted by poweredx2
It'll be for dragracing only.I don't want have to leave at 3000rpms,my car leave better at about 1800rpms in powermode but I have to get it in powermode and stage.I have a fwd svx.That project will be underway this week.

Maybe it's me, but I don't see how that will help. Power mode simply keeps the transmission in each gear until red-line. Why would it matter if you had Power mode on while you were at a stop? If you floor the car, you'll get Power mode....if you shift through the gears yourself you'll get the same results as power mode.....so why bother with a switch?

Dave

Chiketkd 06-22-2004 12:27 PM

Re: Re: power mode

It's not just you...

poweredx2, if you're having traction problems launching at any rpm above 1800 (b/c you have a fwd svx), then the power mode switch wouldn't help. It'll just come down to modulating the throttle at the line for that perfect launch...

-Chike
Quote:

Originally posted by red95svx
Maybe it's me, but I don't see how that will help.

poweredx2 06-22-2004 03:39 PM

powermode

Well this will be hard to sell but looking at some timeslips on motor no nos, in powermode resulted in nearly half a second slower time due to the tranny not giving the full line pressure.I did find a easy solution today I adjusted my tps sensor from 4 to 5.5 volts,now if brake the car an tap the throttle lightly bam I get powermode and I drop the rpms to about 1700-1850 before launching the car.This way I don't have to stomp the pedal to the floor and the car starts to creep,leaving at 3000 rpm on motor resulted in a 2.7 60ft where at the other rpm I get constant 2.23-6 all day,you guys have it good with awd no disrespect,but having a fwd svx with a decent amount of power is awesome.Also I adjusted the tps up to .6 volts and the car was in power mode as soon as the car was started so I made my adjustments from there,the olschool guys have been playing with tps for years for free hp on 5.0 mustangs.

immortal_suby 06-22-2004 05:54 PM

I get what he is saying - if you stomp the pedal off the line to get power mode you basically end up bogging it - but a smoother transition to WOT will actually be faster.

poweredx2 06-22-2004 07:39 PM

manual power mode

Wow someone actually understands,but my car don't bog it'll fry the tires thru first gear on motor,that is why I leave at low rpm.After I get the ecutune chip the drag radials is going back on.Thanks everyone ;)

Chiketkd 06-22-2004 09:19 PM

Re: manual power mode

Good luck! Someone just beat your 14.78 all motor time in the 1/4...

-Chike
Quote:

Originally posted by poweredx2
Wow someone actually understands,but my car don't bog it'll fry the tires thru first gear on motor,that is why I leave at low rpm.After I get the ecutune chip the drag radials is going back on.Thanks everyone ;)

poweredx2 06-23-2004 06:47 AM

great news

Thats what I like to hear.SVX running 14s on motor is a great task ,auto tranny two thumbs up was it a manaul or automatic.I have no choice because of my height about shifting gears.