The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   tire pressure front/rear (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6011)

billisa 09-18-2002 09:27 PM

tire pressure front/rear

How important is it to have the rear tires @ 28lbs versus the fronts @ 32? I realize these may not be exact specs, but I'm really asking about the suggested differences between front and rear. Is it Ok to just have 'em all at 32?

Aredubjay 09-18-2002 09:35 PM

Re: tire pressure front/rear

Quote:

Originally posted by billisa
How important is it to have the rear tires @ 28lbs versus the fronts @ 32? I realize these may not be exact specs, but I'm really asking about the suggested differences between front and rear. Is it Ok to just have 'em all at 32?
The plaque lists 33 front 29 rear, on my car. The weight of the engine coupled with the weight of the front diff, with the addition of the 90-10 split (basically FWD most of the time) is the reason for the front tires carrying more pressure. Mine rides a little harsh when I have all wheels at 33, so, I stick with suggested pressures.

CopsodyX 09-18-2002 10:07 PM

My Toyo's are all at 40 psi...seems fine...should I be worried

Aredubjay 09-18-2002 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CopsodyX
My Toyo's are all at 40 psi...seems fine...should I be worried
Yes. What's max pressure on those? Dang! If you keep running them at that pressure, you're going to see the tread begin to disappear right down the center. Better bring them back down to the realm of reality. Maybe all at 33, if you feel the need to have them all at the same pressure. I'll almost guarantee you'll notice a "softer" ride.

Boone 09-18-2002 10:41 PM

Jeez, Just follow what's on the doorjamb plaque unless you ride with a different section series, wheel diam. or want to autocross. Jump the pressures by a few pounds equally front and rear if you like. Remember these are "cold" pressures". Your skins will thank you. Balance is everything. :cool: B.

CopsodyX 09-19-2002 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Yes. What's max pressure on those? Dang! If you keep running them at that pressure, you're going to see the tread begin to disappear right down the center. Better bring them back down to the realm of reality. Maybe all at 33, if you feel the need to have them all at the same pressure. I'll almost guarantee you'll notice a "softer" ride.

The max pressure on them is 44 psi, and at 33, I was noticing my car jiggle like jello at 80 doing a quick lane change. They suggested 38, now that I look...38. So, put them back down?

CopsodyX 09-19-2002 12:14 AM

<<jiggle like jello>>

In other words...sidewall flex...lol

Beav 09-19-2002 12:22 AM

As long as they're not showing any bad wear patterns just stay below the tire's recommended max inflation and above the door jamb recommendation. If they begin to show wear in the center, drop a few pounds, conversely add a few if wearing on both inside and outside edges.

CopsodyX 09-19-2002 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Beav
As long as they're not showing any bad wear patterns just stay below the tire's recommended max inflation and above the door jamb recommendation. If they begin to show wear in the center, drop a few pounds, conversely add a few if wearing on both inside and outside edges.
got it. thanks.

I notice almost no wear in 3,000 miles. I love these tires. All season, cheap ($100/each) stick to the road like glue, matches stock size for the rim perfectly, have a 40,000 mile treadwear warranty, and don't hydroplane at 100 MPH in curves on a rainy day. No exageration, just plain stupidity.