The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Only 39 windshields left? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43722)

OrangeOkie 03-11-2008 10:01 PM

Only 39 windshields left?

FWIW . . . I just ordered and installed a new windshield. The Subaru parts man said that there were only 39 more left in the inventory, and they weren't planning on making anymore.:cool:

Subix 03-12-2008 02:21 AM

nsk nsk nsk... that's ugly. absolutely no alternatives?

JaySVX 03-12-2008 03:11 AM

While SVX glass may be rare/expensive, I can't imagine there being only 39 left in the country. Maybe the warehouse that subaruparts.com has access to.

ensteele 03-12-2008 09:10 AM

There are aftermarket winshields as well. They are less than 50% of the price of the OEM ones. :)

Mike621 03-12-2008 10:19 AM

Yes I would imagine that there are additional supplies in the Japan warehouse. I was made aware that there are less than 15 front and rear bumper covers in the US warehouse but additional SVX supplies may be available in Japan.

Earl, to date I have not been able to find an aftermarket windshield for the SVX. I know of the company, Xinyi Glass/Fuyao Glass that manufactures them but I have not been able to locate one in quite some time. The most vital part of the SVX w/s assembly are the large bonded weatherstrips which are not available on many of these aftermarket windows that I have seen, and re-using the old bonded weatherstrips is a risky task with which I don't forsee a good cosmetic product.

Turbone 03-12-2008 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 534209)
There are aftermarket winshields as well. They are less than 50% of the price of the OEM ones. :)

True, I got mine for $345.
But it didnt come with molding :mad:
The installer re-used the old stuff and its falling off! :(

ensteele 03-12-2008 11:51 PM

None of them come with molding. The molding needs to be reused when installing them. :(

dcarrb 03-13-2008 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbone (Post 534485)
True, I got mine for $345.

Wow, that's a good price. A friend of mine looked-up an SVX windshield from Safelite awhile back and the installed price was somewhere in the immediate vicinity of $1000.

It wouldn't surprise me to know that the supply of new windshields remaining is indeed draining away, given the age of the cars and the fact there are so few on the road.

dcb

ensteele 03-13-2008 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb (Post 534512)
Wow, that's a good price. A friend of mine looked-up an SVX windshield from Safelite awhile back and the installed price was somewhere in the immediate vicinity of $1000.

It wouldn't surprise me to know that the supply of new windshields remaining is indeed draining away, given the age of the cars and the fact there are so few on the road.

dcb

That price is for an after market one.

Mike621 03-13-2008 08:25 AM

Update:

Today at work i had a chance to do a little bit of searching and I found a source of the after market windshields which are readily available. These, as I said, do not come with new mouldings, but should be fairly inexpensive. I may be able to work out some special pricing as my company buys from this warehouse on a regular basis, if anyone is interested.

Note: These are standard Green tint, they are UV shielded and look similar to the blue tint in the cars which featured gray interior.

All We'll Drive has the complete setup for windshield installs with the proper tools, and has a technician with over 15 years of experience who can perform installations.

If you would like glass only, we can set that up as well.

WestCoastSVX 03-13-2008 09:03 AM

I got a new from dealer SVX windsheild installed about a year ago. It did indeed come with the large weatherstrip bonded to it. My installer had done a few SVXes before and said that was one of the reasons it is almost impossible to salvage the SVX windshield from a wrecked car - you have to use the right tools and make sure to save the weatherstrip sections. I think Turbone's experience is what we can expect using anything less than a new OEM windshield, but apparently we may soon have no choice. :(

I heard once that car manufacturers are required to keep replacement parts on hand for 10 years after a model leaves production. After that, it is up to them whether or not they want to continue manufacturing/stocking the part.

If this is true, I'm sure Subaru will not see it as worth the money to make anything more for the SVX. We just passed 10 years and they are probably celebrating that they can throw away the molds and tooling they've had to keep around for 10 years to create any parts that ran out of stock. What's left is probably what's left. And it probably isn't much. :(

Mike621 03-13-2008 09:12 AM

Agreed.

An OEM windshield is always the best way to go, but as you said, we may have to worry about quantities left in the upcoming years.

OrangeOkie 03-13-2008 08:42 PM

FWIW, my new OEM winshield says it was manufactured by Nippon in Japan. I watched the installer take out the old windshield and intall the new. I would not have been able to do it. You have to have the correct tools. He was impressed with the fit and alignment of the new windshield however. It was worth the money to me since I am a committed long term owner (10 years and counting).

Bailey 03-23-2008 08:50 AM

Out of curiosity, about how much is OEM windshield? (just the glass, not installation)

OrangeOkie 03-23-2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bailey (Post 536704)
Out of curiosity, about how much is OEM windshield? (just the glass, not installation)

I paid about $750 (locally) for my green glass.

It is here, cheaper online, though you have shipping cost to deal with.