The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Getting ready to ditch my FZ4s! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39975)

rogueBeaste 07-27-2007 09:32 PM

Getting ready to ditch my FZ4s!

My Toyo Proxes FZ4 are driving me to distraction with their noise! They have about 25K on them, and still have some good tread left, but the noise that has developed over the last year or so, is too much. I've rotated them, and the wear is even. My wife used to drive the car for a couple of years, and she simply got used to the noise. (I was happy because it hid the sound of the always failing rear wheel bearings.) Anyway, I've taken it back from her, gotten the bad bearings fixed, and can't deal with the noise anymore, which even drowns out my sound system.

I've read hundreds of postings here about tires, but am still unsure how to roll the dice this time; looking for something that would be a "touring" style, I think, perhaps four season (but not necessarily M+S). I would also consider changing wheels, as I'm tired of my custom 16X7s. I'm willing to spend some money, but I'm not wealthy. (If I were, I'd just get ahold of an M3 or at least, a 330 Ci, or something that's probably not that much more quality/ride than my SVX.)

Anyway, I've had P-7s, Dunlop SPs, and now these. I'm getting about 21, 22 in my driving, and have gotten 28 on longer trips, so I'm interested in not messing up the mileage or the ride quality, either. I've seen a lot about 235/45-17s, and suspect this could be a good alternative. I think I'd prefer a brand-name tire like Goodyear, Michelin, or Bridgestone.

Maybe my budget (at least, what I think now) is about five bills for the tires and a grand for the wheels. My driving style is moderate, and I live in the mid-Atlantic region.

Thanks for any help,

It's Just Eric 07-27-2007 10:32 PM

I hear Avon tyres makes some very quiet grippy tires for like 99$ each. Not sure on the treadlife though

as for wheels...go with whatever taste suits you.

AlcyoneDaze 07-27-2007 11:02 PM

This probably doesn't help you, but I have some like-new Yokohama Avid H4's 215/40R17 that i'm looking to get rid of... i didnt gather what size rims your running, but they are good all-season tires, not sporty or anything, but they have good grip and are quiet.

SVX_MY_BABY 07-28-2007 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
I hear Avon tyres makes some very quiet grippy tires for like 99$ each. Not sure on the tread life though

as for wheels...go with whatever taste suits you.

Yes, Avon are good. OEM on Aston Martin. Made by Cooper Tire which is one of the last USA owned manufacturers.

I'd also point you to Nokian tires made in Finland. Great product & great customer support. Have a look at the i3 for an all season.
http://www.tirefactory.net/nokian.htm

Kelvin 07-29-2007 04:44 PM

I've had good luck with Yokohama A550Vs. V speed rated, so crisp handling, AA traction, and they last a really really long time. Plus they're all weather tires. You can get them for around $100 each at sears.

Seraphinwolf 07-29-2007 04:53 PM

Other Toyos

I run Proxxes 4's on mine and they work great. Low noise, great feel, and they have actually the best traction in snow i've ever had. I have 235/40zr/18's and most low profiles are loud reguardless but I don't even hear much on the highway at any speed. They do cost more than the ZF4's. Good luck though.

redsvx 07-29-2007 08:15 PM

I just installed 245/40/17 Michelin Pilot Sports last week.
Fabulous ride! Great performance! :D

pavanbabut 07-29-2007 08:16 PM

I too need some new tires badly. Since I am in calif, I dont need snow tires, but it would be nice to all season tires with good road grip in all conditions (wet/dry), minimum road noise as possible (close to quiet) and not much pricey...

Lookin on tirerack for best sellers for our size, it shows only two best sellers.. Kumho Ecsta ASX and Continental ContiExtremeContact. Anyone had these??Any suggestions....??

-Pavan

redsvx 07-30-2007 09:30 AM

Quote:

Looking on tire rack for best sellers for our size, it shows only two best sellers.. Kumho Ecsta ASX and Continental ContiExtremeContact. Anyone had these??Any suggestions....??
This info came from my son Chris, who is in the tire and wheel business.

"well ... they are both ultra high performance all season ... the Kumho is an asymmetrical design (inner/outer tread) and the Continental is directional ... I personally like the ASX better, it is the newest design, wears nice and even, has a cool squared off design, putting more rubber on the road and for the price, the better choice ... the Continental has been around for longer and I have heard that they get noisier over time and wear poorly ... the Kumho's have a slightly better tread wear rating as well'

Hope it helps :)

processengr 07-30-2007 06:12 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/processengr/956082929/

I too, have the dreaded Toyo FX4s. It is true they sound like noisy bearings! I had set on first SVX I bought, actually replaced both rear wheel bearings due to their sound. Garage thought it needed front wheel bearings too, when sound didn't go away!
Changed to Falken V rated Ziex 512s based on Consumer reports reveiw. Nice and quiet, exceptionaly good feeling... but pronounced wear at 6k. probably a 15k tire.
Then bought 3rd SVX...new Toyo FZ4s (actually 450 miles on them) and new battery. Dealer had deal with Town Fair Tire. They are still noisy , even brand new. Too new to get rid of...
If I got rid of them, would go with the Michlein Pilot Exaltos , H rated (Which BTW, Costco won't due due to V rated original tires!)
I have the Contis on my Silver, quiet, competent, but not as crisp handling as the Toyos or the Falkens. They flat spot also, which the Falkens don't.
If you can make the above picture I tried to load work, it may help you decide.

Amish 07-30-2007 08:38 PM

Michelin Pilot Sports

I concur with REDSVX that the Michelin Pilot Sports are an awesome tire and I might add that they are long lasting ( for sport tires). The set on my car have almost 50,000 kms on them although all those miles are highway miles and I baby her.

Kelvin 07-30-2007 10:10 PM

I currently have over 40,000 on my yokohamas... and they were rated for 30k. >shrug<

SVX_MY_BABY 07-31-2007 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by processengr

I too, have the dreaded Toyo FX4s. It is true they sound like noisy bearings! I had set on first SVX I bought, actually replaced both rear wheel bearings due to their sound. Garage thought it needed front wheel bearings too, when sound didn't go away!

I had a noise problem like that with my OEM Bridgestones before they wore out. Turns out they were scalloped due to wear. If your suspension is out of whack scalloped tires can occur at any time.

Kelvin 07-31-2007 08:19 AM

http://www.alaskaharvest.com/Merchan...r_scallops.jpg

Mmmm. Scallops.

rogueBeaste 07-31-2007 11:01 AM

Leaning toward the Pilot Sports

My local tire shop has some Michelin's that have a PS2 designation now. It's for summer only, but is not directional, although the tread pattern is asymmetrical. I haven't had a cupping problem, except with the P-7s, back when the car only had about 80K on it (during its infancy :D ). I really don't know if my suspension's perfect, since it has about 149K on it now. The struts seem to work OK, but the springs probably sag a little by now. All the bushings seem tight. So, assuming my suspension's not perfect, with the PS2s this guy is telling me about, I can rotate them crosswise, which he thinks will help prevent cupping. The current tires, with about 25K or so, do not have cupping, according to him.

Still looking for wheels, will probably go for 17 X 7.5, looking for ET of 48, but wondering if 45mm will do. Recommended tires are skinny 225s, but I would like to go with 235/45s. This would give a slightly larger patch and the overall height would be about 25.3" vs. stock 24.9. I can't imagine any difference with my gearing this way. BTW, somewhere I think I read the stock bolt pattern is 5-112. Many wheels I see are 5-114.3. Is this OK?

Thanks for all your help; so whaddya think?