The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Question About Rear Wheel Bearings (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22369)

Treppiede 11-11-2004 11:17 PM

Dear Friends, it is with pride that I announce you that the bearings are installed and the beast is holding up! :D

Before:
http://www.miamidsm.addr.com/Data/SVX_bearings/B4.jpg

After:
http://www.miamidsm.addr.com/Data/SV...ings/After.jpg

I will try to prepare an How-To document in Word format, and I will post here as soon as it is in my locker.

I would like to thank all of the SVX owners that have given me advice through this painful process, especially Beav that has bared with me until the end and patiently gave accurate advice.

Regards,

Walter

Beav 11-12-2004 03:16 PM

"Bared with you" might give people the wrong idea... :eek: :D

alia176 11-14-2004 06:14 AM

That's our Beav, willing to go the extra mile!!! :D

Quote:

Originally posted by Beav
"Bared with you" might give people the wrong idea... :eek: :D

vwmrbill11 11-14-2004 02:27 PM

wheel bearings

My car has a lot of "road noise" coming from the back seat area. Its like a windo w is open or the seal to the trunk is bad or like the rear seats were folded down. What I am getting at is I thought it was the road noise from the cheap tires that were on it when I bought it. Now I have good new tires and it is still there. I work at a dealership so we put it on rack and put in gear. No noise from either wheel or inside the car. On the alignment machine with weight on the wheels and in gear, no noise from either wheel. What I am asking is how do you know when you have bearing failure. Can the noise be heard outside the car or at the wheel or only in the car. Any help would be appreciated. Bill 92 svx lsl 99k miles

Beav 11-14-2004 03:11 PM

Put it back on the rack, spin the wheels about 45mph in Drive and use a stethoscope at the point where the axle shaft goes through the suspension knuckle. If the bearing is bad it will be very evident.

vwmrbill11 11-14-2004 06:09 PM

So there is no other way. How would the average person know they have bearing noise. How will you know when it gets real bad and could cause damage.Why does it make noise inside the car but not outside right at the wheel. Just trying to learn more, I will take your advice about the stethescope. Thanks for the advice. Bill

Beav 11-14-2004 08:14 PM

Having the weight of the vehicle loaded against the bearings will make them noisier, hence they will be a bit more quiet when on the rack. Also a lot of tires howl like the dickens, especially the so-called hi-performance (read: cheap) ones. Any tire with a large block tread will generate noise similar to a snow tire, getting worse as they wear and/or develop unusual wear patterns (sawtooth, etc.)

Earthworm 11-15-2004 05:24 PM

Another way to tell the difference between tire and bearing noise is that bearing noise will not change when the road surface does.

Treppiede 12-06-2004 10:44 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I am coming back and posting here because I owe you an apology. It has been almost a month that my SVX is smoothingly rolling on her new bearings and the How-To Document that I have promised has not been completed yet. Fall semester is almost over and I've been slammed with schoolwork (I am sure some of you can relate), so there has been no time to even start writing it, although the pics are all grouped, labeled and ready to be used.

I will keep you updated when the document is finally up, in the mean time sorry for the delay.

Regads,

Walter

Treppiede 02-19-2005 06:52 AM

Once again I come back here saying sorry for the lack of how-to. What happened is that when I finally sat down to write a nice how-to with all the pictures and media I have, I realized that my lack of mechanical knowledge really prevented me to be able to make a half-decent document for somebody to follow.

I must admit that when putting the car back together, I have been lucky that I was able to put everything back the right way since I didn't know the function of half of the arms/servos I was handling, and I depended heavily on the several pictures and diagrams I had gathered before taking pieces apart.

In light to the above considerations, I have decided to leave this thread the way it is and hope that the pictures I have posted as well as the "bearing-pack how-to video" will help the next person that will have to do his/her rear bearings and happens to stumble across my thread.

In the mean time, please feel free to send me emails/PM if you need any hi-resolution picture of the rear end before/during/after the job as a reference, since I have taken several through the whole process and they have turned out being very precious for me to be able to put her back together.

Regards,

Walter