The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   PCV replacement. Pull manifold or not to pull. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51861)

s'ko 10-01-2009 09:52 AM

PCV replacement. Pull manifold or not to pull.

Ok so I read that post about the PCV replacement in the how to section.

Seems like it's a major PITA to get to. I am wondering if it will take the same amount to time to remove the top part of the manifold and remove the PCV that way.

Thoughts?

BW

dannmarr 10-01-2009 01:38 PM

Re: PCV replacement. Pull manifold or not to pull.

Use a crow foot wrench or make one up. Check my old locker for a photo of my wrench.

SomethingElse 10-01-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s'ko (Post 619942)
Ok so I read that post about the PCV replacement in the how to section.

Seems like it's a major PITA to get to. I am wondering if it will take the same amount to time to remove the top part of the manifold and remove the PCV that way.

Thoughts?

BW

Thoughts point to do not pull your manifold off. It is not required. It will not save you time...you will brake stuff....maybe

trophy956 10-01-2009 04:21 PM

hi pull the hose off ,use a mirror and see if its glogged ,if its in good shape leave it alone ,you can change it with a bent wrench and some nimble fingers

want-a-fast-svx 10-01-2009 04:28 PM

many brittle and heat worn vacuum lines are quietly waiting for you to disturb there resting place and once disturbed oh how they will break and laugh! I would not pull the mani unless you needed to or wanted to do the thermo spacers. My .02

SoCal LS-L 10-01-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by want-a-fast-svx (Post 619979)
many brittle and heat worn vacuum lines are quietly waiting for you to disturb there resting place and once disturbed oh how they will break and laugh! I would not pull the mani unless you needed to or wanted to do the thermo spacers. My .02

Yeah do the crows foot wrench thing, dont yank the manifold unless you have all of the needed gaskets for the intake, EGR, and throttle body and lots of vacuum line.

SomethingElse 10-01-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 619980)
Yeah do the crows foot wrench thing, dont yank the manifold unless you have all of the needed gaskets for the intake, EGR, and throttle body and lots of vacuum line.

and vacuum resivior box...I hate that thing!

immortal_suby 10-01-2009 04:56 PM

I would pull it and replace all those brittle lines that are leaking vacuum in the process. Preventative maintenance.

And be careful to not break any of the craptastic plastic fittings in the process.

Crazy_pilot 10-01-2009 05:01 PM

Just keep an eye out if you drop the old valve. Mine fell and now rests somewhere below the coolant cross-over. I'm sure I'll find it again someday.

want-a-fast-svx 10-01-2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 619984)
I would pull it and replace all those brittle lines that are leaking vacuum in the process. Preventative maintenance.

And be careful to not break any of the craptastic plastic fittings in the process.

touche'

if you are mechanically inclined enough, have the money for all the gaskets, and hoses, and take your time that is the best idea! However the easiest is just leave it as is and remove it from the top.