The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT - another WOOHOO! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6039)

Mr. Pockets 09-20-2002 10:00 AM

OT - another WOOHOO!

1 Attachment(s)
A few of you are also mountain biker-types, so I figured I'd share this joy with you.

I ride a Schwinn aluminum off-road bike. I love the thing to death. Climbs like a goat, goes where you point it. Schwinn had (they're basically gone now) as line called the 'Homegrown' bikes. The frames were hand-made in Colorado and truly works of art.

When I bought my bike, even paying shop employee prices, I couldn't afford a Homegrown. I figured, 'someday.' Then Schwinn went under (again) and I figured I'd never get a new Homegrown frame.

You have to know where this is going. :D

I found one in my size on eBay last night. I waited, bid at the end and won with a bid of $255. This frame retailed for about $1000.

I can't wait!

Make sure Randy takes a look. I'll even bring it to the next meet. :D :D :D

Seraph 09-20-2002 10:07 AM

Nice buy nick. I myself have '00 Trek 4500 in silver.

Lwin

Mr. Pockets 09-20-2002 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Seraph
Nice buy nick. I myself have '00 Trek 4500 in silver.

Lwin

That's cool. I have a '91 aluminum Trek road bike that I still love.

gcookaustin 09-20-2002 10:22 AM

Hehe...my '94 Clear Creek Cro-Moly is still taking the hits...I bought that back when not every bike came with front suspension. I've got the most obsenely cheap bike lock ever, people steal bikes from campus all the time but they haven't gotten mine yet. I don't even bother locking the thing; it's a combo lock and if you catch it on the hook and not insert it all the way in, don't have to spin the dial to unlock it. So, uh..nobody steal my bike please. :D

Landshark 09-20-2002 11:04 AM

i'd like a Porsche bike, but i could get another SVX for what they cost.

mattski 09-20-2002 11:12 AM

Re: OT - another WOOHOO!

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I found one in my size on eBay last night. I waited, bid at the end and won with a bid of $255. This frame retailed for about $1000.

I love eBay for this stuff. If you know what you are looking for, you can get outragous deals. Last year I picked up a pair of brand new World Cup issue Dynastar slalom skis for $300! The consumer model lists for 3x that and a World Cup model is priceless, to me at least.

Congrats on your bike!

$VX 09-20-2002 01:59 PM

k2s own. :P

Mr. Pockets 09-20-2002 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by $VX
k2s own. :P
I have a pair of K2 SL Race skis that I absolutely love. They're my second set of K2s and I've been really happy with both pairs.

But K2 bikes I've never tried. Their duallies looked cool as hell, but I have no idea how they rode or held up.

I think my next-door neighbor has a K2. He rides it very rarely.

Mr. Pockets 09-20-2002 02:22 PM

<<MODS: New Bosch wipers. :P>>

That, BTW, is hysterical. :D

Mr. Pockets 09-20-2002 02:22 PM

Anyone else notice that the person who replies to my posts more than anybody else is me? :D

Have a great weekend, everybody. If your SVX runs, then drive it and crack a big, feces-eating grin for me. ;)

mattski 09-20-2002 02:34 PM

Quote:

I have a pair of K2 SL Race skis that I absolutely love. They're my second set of K2s and I've been really happy with both pairs.

But K2 bikes I've never tried. Their duallies looked cool as hell, but I have no idea how they rode or held up.

I think my next-door neighbor has a K2. He rides it very rarely.

I had a pair of K2 710s in 203 cm back in 1978. They were great skis on eastern "hard pack" but fairly useless in western powder.

Whatever happened to K2s piezoelectic system which allegedly dissipated vibration by converting it into electricity? I have not heard much about it lately.

I have found a fondness for Volkls (in addition to my SVX). I keep getting shorter boards (183 cm this year, down from 190 cm the past 4 years) but they go faster and faster. Talk about a technology revolution. My slalom skis are 162 cm but I even tried 157s last year and they flew.

I hear the Atomics are awsome but I am too cheap to pay mega bucks for skis and and bindings.

Think snow, ya all. We need the water and it makes our SVXs seem like "magic carpets". :D

mohrds 09-20-2002 02:39 PM

<<Anyone else notice that the person who replies to my posts more than anybody else is me?>>

Perhaps you should change your handle to "Mr. Impatient"

:D

Doug

Aredubjay 09-20-2002 03:25 PM

Re: OT - another WOOHOO!

Quote:

Make sure Randy takes a look. I'll even bring it to the next meet. :D :D :D
Inasmuch as you felt it necessary to add this line, I can only imagine the color (or "colour" for our UK friends :) ). I shan't look. :p :D

SVXphile 09-21-2002 07:08 AM

Mountain bikes

I was SO into mountain biking before I hurt my back. I even entered a local race once. (senior division) Jean and I still have our two Cannondales hanging inside our shed out back. Congratulations on your new frame! :) Don

$VX 09-21-2002 10:27 AM

That piezoelectric thing? That's what I have. :D K2 merlin IVs. LOVE EM. Its never seen like I've been going to fast.

- Ca$h