The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Installation location for oil coolers (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36102)

cdigerlando 11-13-2006 09:32 AM

Installation location for oil coolers

I have had my engine oil cooler and transmission oil cooler located between the AC condensor and the radiator for some time. Seemed to work well. I just installed an aftermarket aluminum (power) radiator. The core is thicker. Now the oil coolers actually touch the new radiator. Does anyone see a problem with this other that the direct heat contact. I am a bit concerned that when they heat up and expand that there will be some stresss on the parts. Anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks

Chuck D.

dcarrb 11-13-2006 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdigerlando
I have had my engine oil cooler and transmission oil cooler located between the AC condensor and the radiator for some time. Seemed to work well. I just installed an aftermarket aluminum (power) radiator. The core is thicker. Now the oil coolers actually touch the new radiator. Does anyone see a problem with this other that the direct heat contact. I am a bit concerned that when they heat up and expand that there will be some stresss on the parts. Anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks

Chuck D.

The supplemental ATF cooler on my teal is mounted directly to the front side of the radiator with the nylon ties that were provided with the unit. No troubles.

dcb

cdigerlando 11-13-2006 06:16 PM

More Locations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
The supplemental ATF cooler on my teal is mounted directly to the front side of the radiator with the nylon ties that were provided with the unit. No troubles.

dcb

Yes I believe this is the best location. This is where mine is. But with the thicker core the cooler touches the radiator with no pad. I'm afraid that under hard driving and all of this crap sandwitched, there may be rubbing and damage to these coolers. Cracking any one of them would be catostrophic.

I'm kicking around moving the coolers to the passangers side, mounting a small electric fan, and cutting a whole in the bumper (aftermarket) where the foglight cutout is. This will force me to do a A/W intercooler though since I had originally planned to run of a front mounted intercooler through this end of the fender, to the throttle body.

Alternatively I could place these in front of the AC condenser, but that would reduce its efficiency. In Florida an efficient AC condenser is important!

Speedklix 11-13-2006 06:22 PM

just get longer bolts for your condensor and some washers to push it forward a bit. IIRC, there is a little room to be gained.

ensteele 11-13-2006 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb

dcb

Mine too. :)

cdigerlando 11-14-2006 08:01 AM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedklix
just get longer bolts for your condensor and some washers to push it forward a bit. IIRC, there is a little room to be gained.

That is good advice. I'll check to see what can be done.

cdigerlando 11-14-2006 07:54 PM

moving the condensor

OK. Pulled the bolts but the condensor touches the frame. I'm going to have to trim the frame a bit, which means removing everything to get to it. Nothing is easy. I may just remove the pads between the condensor and the cooler and go with a thin piece of teflon. Then pull it close to the frame without actually touching.

cdigerlando 11-20-2006 12:20 PM

Finished!

Trimed a corner near the headlight support so that the condenser could move forward about 1/4". It worked well. Also had to cut the rubber bumpers and trim them a bit, along with the bolts and the little steel cylinders that fit in the bumpers. It all worked out pretty good. No more rubbing at least. Spray painted the cut steel to keep it from rusting. I prefer doing this to putting them in front of the condensor. Now I still have room for an intercooler.