The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Radio antenna (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14847)

lurker 12-04-2003 12:52 PM

Radio antenna

I used to wash the car myself in Fla. Now that I'm in upstate NY, no way. Too cold.

Tried to go to a carwash . Can't switch the key ignition all the way off when the car is in neutral and the antenna won't go down. Took a risk and the antena got bent but was able to fix it. Are svx's all like this or just mine?

How do I get around this? Can't stand the thought of salt all over the SVX.

immortal_suby 12-04-2003 12:55 PM

It should go down when you turn off the radio.

I am originally from upstate NY rochester area. It is a real pain trying to keep a car clena in the winter. Don't let the salt eat up that svx.

lurker 12-04-2003 12:57 PM

Re: Radio antenna

Quote:

Originally posted by lurker
I used to wash the car myself in Fla. Now that I'm in upstate NY, no way. Too cold.

Tried to go to a carwash . Can't switch the key ignition all the way off when the car is in neutral and the antenna won't go down. Took a risk and the antena got bent but was able to fix it. Are svx's all like this or just mine?

How do I get around this? Can't stand the thought of salt all over the SVX.

the antenna just goes down when I turn off the engine.

lurker 12-04-2003 01:31 PM

BTW immortal, do you know any reliable mechanics around here who know the svx well?

svxistentialist 12-04-2003 05:55 PM

Is your radio an original Subaru/Panasonic, or has someone changed the unit?

When I turn off the radio, the aerial retracts. In fact, if I turn on the in-dash CD first, the aerial stays in the socket, until I switch over to the radio.

However, strangely enough, if I turn on the radio first, then switch to CD, the aerial will stay up until I switch off the unit.

I don't use car washes because they damage the paint. If I was using one, I would be reluctant to have the radio on, too risky.

If your key won't turn all the way off, you have a problem with the key interlock circuit, or a bad relay or something.

Joe:)

lurker 12-05-2003 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by svxistentialist
Is your radio an original Subaru/Panasonic, or has someone changed the unit?

When I turn off the radio, the aerial retracts. In fact, if I turn on the in-dash CD first, the aerial stays in the socket, until I switch over to the radio.

However, strangely enough, if I turn on the radio first, then switch to CD, the aerial will stay up until I switch off the unit.

I don't use car washes because they damage the paint. If I was using one, I would be reluctant to have the radio on, too risky.

If your key won't turn all the way off, you have a problem with the key interlock circuit, or a bad relay or something.

Joe:)

Radio is no longer original. I guess I might have to check into these things then. Thanks for the 411.

I have no choice but to go to a car wash because of the snow and salt. My car is due for a new paint job anyways but not til' next summer. In the mean time, I just don't want to take a chance of having some rust.