The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Driving Tunes (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6343)

Mr. Pockets 01-28-2002 09:29 AM

SVX driving tunes

Whaddya like to listen to in your SVX?

I don't mean commuting tunes. Hell, I listen to NPR while on my way to / from work. Then again, I only have 2 really crappy speakers in the Justy that hardly do music any justice. :)

Anyway, what do you like to listen to when you're enjoying yourself in the car?

My favorite memories in the SVX include a twisty mountain road in Vermont, in the rain, with Garbage's 'The Trick is to Keep Breathing.' Just gives me a warm feeling all over thinking about that. :)

In town, in the summer, windows rolled down with Citizen King's 'Jalopy Style' is another favorite. :D

1994SubaruSVX 01-28-2002 09:37 AM

if i am in a hurry.......

nothing beats driving fast to crystal method - the original techno. sometimes i pop in a little cheryl crow, maybe some madonna. everynow and then i put in some dmx. just depends on what mood i am in?! :cool:

Ron Mummert 01-28-2002 10:25 AM

Anything by Eva Cassidy, Ian & Sylvia, & of course, "Driver's Seat" by Sniff 'n the Tears, circa late '70s.
Rockin' Ron.

Aredubjay 01-28-2002 10:28 AM

Yeah, it's all in "the mood." If I'm driving to calm down, I have a selection of "various classical artists" I listen to. If I'm feeling a little "raunchy" I'll throw in some Jethro Tull's greatest and crank it to "ll" when Locomotive Breath comes on. If I'm being complacent, it's either Simon and Garfunkel or Phil Keagy.

Green1995SVX 01-28-2002 11:05 AM

Oh this is a fun topic... I'm a total fan of anything Trance... Paul Oakenfold, ATB, all that stuff... And you dont get much better for driving music than that... Although, the new Crystal Method CD is pretty darn good... Yeah i guess techno works too... :D :D

-Mike

Seraph 01-28-2002 01:01 PM

It all depends on my mood. I have around 100 cds to switch through. As for radio, 4 stations came to mind:

1. NPR
2. Energy9275 - 92.7/5 -- they play dance/trance music all day long
3. B96 -- Mostly R&B and hip-hop
4. 94.7 -- That is an alternative station.

As for cd, a couple of songs make me drive fast -- fast and the furious sound track, cocky by kid rock etc.

Lwin

LarryIII 01-28-2002 01:27 PM

I usually listen to CD's in the following areas:

1) Doo Wop
2) Jazz (Lionel Hampton Count Basie stuff)
3) Italian Tenors
4) Showtunes (Barbara Streisand)

It all depends on my mood and traffic.

Larry III

Zeppelin 01-28-2002 01:30 PM

I have a deck that plays mp3's, so I usually just pop in an mp3 disc that had about 200 songs on it and hit random.. One of my favorite songs to crank that sounds great in my car is Radiohead's Creep.. I really like cranking some Floyd on my way home from work too :) Nothing like cranking Time to relax!!

svxter 01-28-2002 01:37 PM

Stevie Ray Vaughn, Ronnie Earl, or almost any other blues artist. Or, if I'm in a Latino mood, Los Fabulosos Cadillacs, or Cafe Tacuba, or some good Texas conjunto. Lately though, I've been on a Leonard Cohen kick - Ten New Songs and Various Positions are the current favorites.

Didn't know there was anything else on the radio but NPR. :D

Aredubjay 01-28-2002 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII
I usually listen to CD's in the following areas:

1) Doo Wop
2) Jazz (Lionel Hampton Count Basie stuff)
3) Italian Tenors
4) Showtunes (Barbara Streisand)

It all depends on my mood and traffic.

Larry III

I would never admit to anyone that I listened to showtunes in my car . . . but, since you broke the ice, I occassionally use my cassette deck. I put in an old cassette I have of the "Fiddler on the Roof" sound track. It's one of my favorite shows, since I played the role of Tevye in the cast of our Community Theatre's production. :D

LarryIII 01-28-2002 01:51 PM

Oui Vey, a goy playing Tevye.

Larry III

Seraph 01-28-2002 02:53 PM

OT

Quote:

Originally posted by Zeppelin
I have a deck that plays mp3's, so I usually just pop in an mp3 disc that had about 200 songs on it and hit random.. One of my favorite songs to crank that sounds great in my car is Radiohead's Creep.. I really like cranking some Floyd on my way home from work too :) Nothing like cranking Time to relax!!
Which one do you have?
I am thinking of getting blaupunkt's San Jose when I switch my car.

Lwin

Zeppelin 01-28-2002 03:54 PM

I have the JVC model.. *looking up in Crutchfield....* Digifine 2.1 KD-SH99.. I highly recommend this deck if you can afford it.. I paid $275 from a local stereo shop because they were going to stop selling them.. Crutchfield wants $399.95!!! It has front, rear and sub preouts, as well as 2 aux inputs! And one input is in the front (nice for hooking up a casette walkman if you HAVE to listen to a tape :) )

huck369 01-28-2002 04:46 PM

When I'm in a mood to drive fast thru the twisties nothing beats Golden Earring's "Radar Love":p or maybe The Knack's "My Sharona"

In a more mellow mood, maybe some Jonny Lang, or Mellisa Etheridge.

mohrds 01-28-2002 04:54 PM

<<Lately though, I've been on a Leonard Cohen kick - Ten New Songs and Various Positions are the current favorites>>

Man, I really need to replace my Various positions and I'm your man. Leonard talks to me, man!

Doug