The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Considering an s2000 (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42156)

Tim 12-03-2007 02:09 PM

Considering an s2000

A big part of me wants to get something a little more recent. I should be finished with school in the next year or so. By summer I might be able to get one. I was looking at an 04 with the 2.2l motor since they said that those had a little more torque and a glass rear window.

I've been researching them a good amount lately. Anyone on the board have one or know of someone who has one?

94SubieSVX 12-03-2007 04:29 PM

Like I told you on the phone, you can only get a S2k IF you keep the SVX/sell the corolla:p

shelfy 12-03-2007 04:32 PM

i don't fit in an s2000. :(

Tim 12-03-2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94SubieSVX (Post 512717)
Like I told you on the phone, you can only get a S2k IF you keep the SVX/sell the corolla:p

What I think I would do is keep all 3 or sell the corolla.

The svx isnt worth selling unless I could squeeze 8 grand out of it, but I dont fully feel right parting with it. One of my other ideas were to register the car as a collectors car and theoretically it should lower my insurance rate, so I might be able to keep all 3.

Ricochet 12-03-2007 05:08 PM

My uncle has one with the 2.0 in it.. It's just another high-revving honda for little people. I'm 5'11" 200lbs (normal size'ish) and felt squished. The interiors aren't anything to write home about, plastic and honda'ey. If you're looking for a two-seater conv. check out a solstice or sky.

Tim 12-03-2007 06:49 PM

I mean the other thing I could do is just go for the 5 speed and build up the svx, then redo the leather upholstery. :D

porschekiller 12-03-2007 06:58 PM

Esprit S2000

not enough torque for car's weight, very disappointing during normal driving, unless redlining every gear is normal driving for you. i dont think there is a better stock engine though for hard driving and economy. would be perfect in a late model Lotus Esprit and prototyperacing.com can make it happen easily.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TE1221 (Post 512683)
A big part of me wants to get something a little more recent. I should be finished with school in the next year or so. By summer I might be able to get one. I was looking at an 04 with the 2.2l motor since they said that those had a little more torque and a glass rear window.

I've been researching them a good amount lately. Anyone on the board have one or know of someone who has one?

YourConfused 12-03-2007 07:05 PM

The SKY redline sounds nice w/ 260/260 power and 2900lbs. I say fix the SVX up though.

Ricochet 12-03-2007 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TE1221 (Post 512757)
I mean the other thing I could do is just go for the 5 speed and build up the svx, then redo the leather upholstery. :D

If you want something more recent, throwing a clunky manual into an svx isn't the right move. I didn't really have a choice, I was in Iraq when my mom blew the tranny and getting a manual was cheaper than a new auto.

If your auto is healthy and you want a newer sports car, get one. For the price of an svx face lift you could get a used Firebird or something with more horsepower than people around here are dumping their life savings to achieve. Food for thought.

SubaSteevo 12-03-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet (Post 512731)
My uncle has one with the 2.0 in it.. It's just another high-revving honda for little people. I'm 5'11" 200lbs (normal size'ish) and felt squished. The interiors aren't anything to write home about, plastic and honda'ey. If you're looking for a two-seater conv. check out a solstice or sky.

I was looking at an s2k before I bought the IS. At the time I was mostly interested in the s2k and a Miata actually. What Ricochet said sums up my feelings on the s2k pretty well. They're nothing spectacular, they just have few competitors.

Tim 12-03-2007 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet
If your auto is healthy and you want a newer sports car, get one. For the price of an svx face lift you could get a used Firebird or something with more horsepower than people around here are dumping their life savings to achieve. Food for thought.

The firebird or F body to me isnt really classy. Not that i'm focused on self-image, but I totally can't see myself rolling up in one. That and they're not refined in my opinion.

I wanted something more along the lines of a used japanese flagship, since they tend to be the cars to keep around, are more well built and designed to last.

I'm not looking for horsepower. I'm looking for something sporty, agile, sleek and classy. By classy, I mean not boy racerish. It has to have some power behind it but i'm not looking to break 1/4 mile records. It would most likely stay stock. Luxury is not so much a requirement, but some basics would be nice such as leather. It has to be a 5/6 speed.

I think the cars that really fit into this category for me are: the svx, s2000, SC300/400, the MK4 supra, the MR2 Turbo, the 350z, RX8 and the G35 coupe. All of these cars would be used, I would not want to drive it off the lot new.

The s2000 seems to be the best compromise for what I want.

The other thing would just be finishing up the 5 speed that hopefully svxpert can source the tranny. Then the only other thing I would do is upgrade to Stage 2 with cams, the Tomyx intake, new leather upholstery, WRX steering wheel. Then it should have enough power over stock for me to really want since the rest of the car behaves the way I would like it to (handling and brakes).

Ricochet 12-03-2007 09:06 PM

Of that list I'd rather have a 350z/G35 over a gay middle-class man's midlife crisis car.. Trust me you won't be happy with the s2k if you're looking for power and class. They lack any kind of torque and wrap you in plastic when you sit down. Try test driving some early 2000's bmw 3-series, you'll fall in love. Sporty, classy, nice handful of usable power, and they're not very expensive.

Crazy_pilot 12-03-2007 09:35 PM

Hmmm... S2000. Took me a good couple minutes to figure out how to start the thing, and then 3 or 4 tries to get it in reverse. I discovered that I could get it crawling forward in 6th, but it didn't smell so good after.:rolleyes: It's a rev-happy little crack-toy. Absolutely no performance below 4-5K, but get it up around 7K and it gets pretty tail happy in first.

SubaSteevo 12-03-2007 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TE1221 (Post 512792)
The firebird or F body to me isnt really classy. Not that i'm focused on self-image, but I totally can't see myself rolling up in one. That and they're not refined in my opinion.

I wanted something more along the lines of a used japanese flagship, since they tend to be the cars to keep around, are more well built and designed to last.

I'm not looking for horsepower. I'm looking for something sporty, agile, sleek and classy. By classy, I mean not boy racerish. It has to have some power behind it but i'm not looking to break 1/4 mile records. It would most likely stay stock. Luxury is not so much a requirement, but some basics would be nice such as leather. It has to be a 5/6 speed.

I think the cars that really fit into this category for me are: the svx, s2000, SC300/400, the MK4 supra, the MR2 Turbo, the 350z, RX8 and the G35 coupe. All of these cars would be used, I would not want to drive it off the lot new.

The s2000 seems to be the best compromise for what I want.

The other thing would just be finishing up the 5 speed that hopefully svxpert can source the tranny. Then the only other thing I would do is upgrade to Stage 2 with cams, the Tomyx intake, new leather upholstery, WRX steering wheel. Then it should have enough power over stock for me to really want since the rest of the car behaves the way I would like it to (handling and brakes).

Go for the SC400! (I looked into those too, almost bought one). It's got a good mix of everything which makes the SVX great (speed, looks, reliability, luxury, etc) just more of it. Go for a 98' or newer, thats when they introduced the VVT to bump it up to 290hp :cool:

It's Just Eric 12-03-2007 10:09 PM

the s2k is an alright car. Ive ridden in one, and it was quite fast past 5k rpms...but anything under that was a bit sluggish. You just dont get that nice smooth predictable tourque that you get from a car with a larger, less twitchy engine.

The interior was a bit tight...but it was fine for me. You wont have much trouble fitting, tim...but some friends might.

the ride was a bit stiff, but then again the car I rode in had larger than stock wheels, which could have attributed to that. they do pretty well on a track, though you really gotta be carefull on spirited drives. The tires WILL break loose if you're really hammering on it

All in all, it isnt a bad car. It looks refined (Especially in black) has a good engine, and will get you instant attention. Personally though, Id go for a g35, or the mr2